PDA

View Full Version : Tapped in Feeding Hills

PapaSmiff
03-11-2013, 11:37 PM
I have 8 total taps in 4 trees. Tapped Feb 26th. Sap has been flowing well. For some reason, I'm still getting light amber. So far, I've made about 2 gallons of syrup - much of which has been and will be turned into candy. My wife doesn't like the light amber and is a bit embarrassed when I hand it out to the neighbors. She doesn't think it's "real" maple syrup.

I'm hoping to get some medium amber when the next flow starts on Thursday or Friday.

PrimitiveOperation
03-12-2013, 08:21 PM
Hello-
We just finished our first batch of medium for the season. Surprisingly long run of light for our trees in Feeding Hills as well.
I actually don't remember ever getting as much light as we have this year.

Hopefully yours will switch over for you now too.

Good luck

PapaSmiff
03-13-2013, 11:54 AM
Primative,
I'm hoping that the next run, that should start on Thursday, will be medium or dark. It will probably be my last run of the season. Since I use a turkey fryer, gas is getting expensive. Is your operation in Feeding Hills? If so, send me an PM. I'd like to stop by and see it.

PapaSmiff
03-25-2013, 06:21 AM
I pulled the taps this weekend. I exceeded my propane budget for the season. I think I made about 2 1/2 gallons from 8 taps, even though two of the taps dried up a week ago. It's been a good year. Lots of light amber. Will be making lots of candy this year.

325abn
03-25-2013, 06:56 AM
2.5 gal of syrup from 8 taps is pretty darn good!! What is your secret??

PapaSmiff
03-25-2013, 07:36 AM
I tapped early. They are roadside trees. There was a large sugar maple that put out more than 2 gallons of sap per tap on good days.
We also had really, really good weather for sugaring, for most of that period!

sams64
03-25-2013, 11:19 AM
My ratio is just about the same for 30 taps. I am at 9.5 gallons of syrup so far and will probably end there as I am out of town next weekend so I won't be able to do one last boil.

sam