PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Day Boiling a Bit of Sap !!

TerryEspo
03-11-2013, 09:50 PM
My son and I were in the back checking the run and not much really in the last 24 hrs. But we did have about 15 gallons in buckets sitting in snow. Bored, I said let collect all and boil. We had approx. 25 gallons totalafter collecting.

I didnt want the 15 gallons we had in snow, sitting any longer so boil we did.

Our creek is kinda open but not crazy rushing, the water is above the ice, not brutal yet. We decided to giver across the water with the seligh in tow!! We made it, just a big splash but all was fine.

We have approx. 50-55 taps across the creek. Got about 5 gallons across the creek, not worth it, but he loved the water crossing on snowmachine.

So, back to the house, wiped the pan a bit, filled the pan with a couple inches,filled the head tank and ready to boil.

Got a boil in about 30 mins, all was going well until the wind changed !! :o ASHES were pouring from the stack into my pan !! Birch bark I think, must have been. I was freaking, black ashes how dare you !!

I tried to use a strainer and pre-filter to get it all out, got lots but still saw it in the pan for the rest of the boil,,,ggrrr.

Reduced it, filtered it (burned my hand), tastes great and looks perfect, maybe the best I ever made.

So, 25 measly gallons of sap, water crossing on snowmachine, ashes in sap pan, burnt hand. All that for 7 little bottles of liquid gold,,,,,Priceless. I would do it all over again tomorrow, lol.

No more little boils, not worth it.

Terry

TreeTapper2
03-11-2013, 10:05 PM
What a day but all worth it with the boy.
It's memories like this that will last a long time.

DonMcJr
03-12-2013, 02:47 AM
Pretty Cool Terry! You made some Syrup FINALLY this year!:cool:

MapleLady
03-12-2013, 05:59 AM
What a grand adventure with your son and maple sap! Those will be wonderful memories for both of you - plus those 7 little bottles of liquid gold! Doesn't get much better than that! :)

Run Forest Run!
03-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Sounds like fun Terry. By the end of today I should be looking at my first bottles of the year too. We certainly had to be patient didn't we?

Kyle Baker
03-12-2013, 11:15 AM
great story! Im sure your young lad had a blast.
I dont mind making small batches, I'm always happy to see the end of a batch when I can bottle up a litte bit. Finishing syrup, no matter the volume gives me a boost to do another batch after seeing (and tasting) the fruits of my labour :)

TerryEspo
03-12-2013, 11:30 AM
The kids are drinking it from dixie cups, bottle caps and spoons,,,LOL.

Glad they are enjoying it !!

Took a couple pics before they polish it off.

Looks like a few more days of bad temps, so no boiling for awhile. GGrrr.

Terry