PDA

View Full Version : Ashes

Asthepotthickens
03-11-2013, 02:46 PM
Ant good ideas out there concerning cleaning out ashes and coals without any mess?

Ausable
03-11-2013, 02:56 PM
Hey! When You burn wood you have dust. I use a coal scuttle and a flat - flat edge spade. Usually - I clean the ashes out between boils. If I drop
any hot coals - I pick them up with an ash shovel. The ash shovel handle is too short to use to clean out my arch. Hope I helped. -----Mike----

sugar ED
03-12-2013, 01:16 AM
Ant good ideas out there concerning cleaning out ashes and coals without any mess?

Hello Asthepotthickens, Well as Ausable said "When You burn wood you have dust." But I spray down with a light mist, spray bottle of water, (only if no hot coals and cooled down !) don't want to crack the grates or fire brick ! I also made an ash pan 3"x2'x3' to fit just under the grates and that cut down on a lot of dust .Hope this helps, Good luck sapping ! Ed
P.S.I Like your name ! ( Asthepotthickens ),The Sweeter It Gets ! fits just right !

DonMcJr
03-12-2013, 02:40 AM
I found out if I clean the ashes out of my half-pint Evaporator after every boil it burns hotter everytime.

I'm going to get one of these incase I have sweet in the pan and no one to help me lift it off...

http://www.menards.com/main/heating-cooling/fireplaces/fireplace-accessories/cleva-ash-vacuum/p-1715971-c-6845.htm

DonMcJr
03-15-2013, 01:00 AM
I went to Lowes tonight and bought their Ash Vacuum... It works GREAT on my half pint! Vacuumed up all the ashes and the only mess was on my sleeves when I reached in to get the ashes in the back!

Asthepotthickens
03-15-2013, 06:19 AM
I went to Lowes tonight and bought their Ash Vacuum... It works GREAT on my half pint! Vacuumed up all the ashes and the only mess was on my sleeves when I reached in to get the ashes in the back!

Perfect I will go get one as well .... Question what about the odd hot coal? Will it melt the hose?

DonMcJr
03-15-2013, 12:17 PM
I assume it would not be good to vacuum hot coals and only plan to use it once my coals are all cold...