PDA

View Full Version : HELP- 2x4 VT Special

grinch5010
03-11-2013, 11:06 AM
Last year I got a 2x4 VT special drop flue. I have got a pretty good grip in running it now but keep running into some issues. We keep making a little grade A med, some grade A dark, and mostly Grade B. It is to early to making grade B, but it turned the same date as last year on me. I have cleaned everything over the the weekend including every bucket which did have a little slime. I pushed the pans last night and hope to start fresh today.

Would the syrup quaility get better if I push the all the sweet out of the front pan after the end of each day and finish it on the gas finisher? Right now I boil every day then flood the pans to shut down. Then put the plug in the front pan. I come back the next day and start over, some days it seems like we never quite get to syrup even thought we have been boiling 8 hours. I figure all this long boiling is making the syrup darker also. I have added a blower and figure I'm getting about 12 gph which I think should be higher.

Should we keep the sweet and resume operations each day or push the pans and semi-batch boil?
Any help would be appreciated!