PDA

View Full Version : Pre-heater

Asthepotthickens
03-11-2013, 10:56 AM

So I tried this copper pipe wrap pre heater and cut my boiling time down 30%. Used 1/2 inch flex copper 30 feet and a circulating pump. For safety and a little more heat I shielded it. The sap goes in at around 35 degrees and comes out at over 100. Not bad for $45.00 and an hours time. :)

Bucksaw
03-11-2013, 11:05 AM
Not bad at all for $45! How does this set up work? I have a 2x3 evap and would like to cut down my boil time. Boiled for the second time this weekend and to speed up the process we used a turkey fryer as a pre-preheater before adding to the preheat pan. Would rather use the turkey fryer to finish syrup and use the heat from the stack to preheat my sap.

Asthepotthickens
03-11-2013, 12:17 PM
So your stack, stove pipes, throw off a lot of heat that goes to waiste. Set a small fountain type pump in the bottom of your turkey fryer pot, attach a rubber hose to a copper pipe and extend it to 6" past the top of your stack. Then bend it around your stove pipe in a downward spiral back into your pot that is full of cold sap. Once the copper is in place wrap it with tin. Once your fire is drafting well turn the pump on. In a few minutes the sap will warm up

bowtie
03-11-2013, 12:38 PM
curious as to why you use a pump. is it because you do not have head tank to create flow? i am replacing my flex copper, the flare fitting is leaking and i am going to shield it and insulate the ends. like you have found, shielding makes a big difference. if i could get a good seal i would try to run in the stack but with a blower i am afraid i would just make a mess if i did not get it sealed 100%

Asthepotthickens
03-11-2013, 12:43 PM
curious as to why you use a pump. is it because you do not have head tank to create flow? i am replacing my flex copper, the flare fitting is leaking and i am going to shield it and insulate the ends. like you have found, shielding makes a big difference. if i could get a good seal i would try to run in the stack but with a blower i am afraid i would just make a mess if i did not get it sealed 100%.
Correct no head tank, my bulk tanks are in another room so I pump the sap into a 30 gallon pot with a check valve on it. The small pump sits in the bottom of it.