PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Syrup

Spartazoo
03-11-2013, 09:31 AM
Newbie question... This is my second year doing this.

I have done three batches of syrup for a total of 5 gallons so far this year. I have a hydrometer from Sugar Bush that is marked with finish line both hot and cold.

First batch light amber, a bit cloudy, but tastes fantastic. Took the syrup down all the way to the line on my hydrometer.

Second batch light amber, much clearer (new filter), and tastes great. Took the syrup to the line on the hydrometer and it seems really thick.

Third batch darker amber, clearest I have made maybe ever, and tastes maybe the best ever. Took the syrup to only 54/55 brix and 218 degrees. I stopped short of "the line" on the hydrometer. Stuff looks and tastes awesome but is a bit thinner.

Question - Is there a certain viscosity that makes it syrup or is it entirely based on brix level? Should I boil my third batch down a bit more?

Thanks in advance.

happy thoughts
03-11-2013, 09:50 AM
It's based on sugar density. All syrup of the same density should be the same viscosity. 66 brix at 68F (or the equivalent for the temp you're testing at) is the minimum for syrup. Anything less and you risk spoilage in storage.

Spartazoo
03-11-2013, 09:57 AM
I think I am going to retest the brix at 68F and see where it is at.

Thanks.

happy thoughts
03-11-2013, 10:20 AM
Just be careful and don't go too thick. Over 68 and you're more likely to get crystalization. That's like rock candy that forms in the bottom of the jar. Pretty impossible to get out in a narrow necked container so you'll waste sugar. You may risk breaking a mason type jar trying to pry it out. Go for a happy medium. VT syrup is slightly thicker than the standard elsewhere. I think that is just slightly under 67 Brix.

Have fun and make lots more syrup:)