PDA

View Full Version : Making Maple Syrup: A drug?

not_for_sale
03-11-2013, 12:23 AM
It's bad for you (your pocketbook), and supposedly you get addicted.

After today, maybe not. Here is what I did today.

1. ) I came in the house with just over 3 Gallons, after reheating it fits in containers that hold 256 oz. where the heck did the other 100 oz go that I did not spill? Ok, some of it had to still be boiled off, maybe 50 oz or so. Still, 50 oz AWOL.

2. I built an RO that took my sap to 10 % - I can't imagine if I had to boil raw sap on a wood fed evaporator. I leisurely started about 11 am, just got done. So, 14 hrs.

3. If I sell all at retail prices, and neglect that I had to collect the sap and that I had to buy the equipment my time is worth less that $ 12/ hr. Ridiculous.

I do this so my kids can learn how to sell for their pocket money. Yes, I am going to let my 6 and 4 year old have all the lute from the sale of the syrup. Still, it would be easier to hand them the money and just go work at my regular job for an hour. After Obama' s share I'd still make a lot more.

But then, the kids would grow up expecting stuff. Too much expecting and too little action.

How can anyone - who doesn't do this industrial scale make any money at this? I guess you could make money if you hired all the work out at minimum wage?

I appreciate comments. How do you justify doing this? Rationally? Economically this does not make sense!

So it is a drug!

DonMcJr
03-11-2013, 12:56 AM
Once you buy all the stuff if you make enough syrup and sell it you'll be ahead after a few years. Only thing I have to buy every year is bottles and labels.

But mostly I do it for fun! I enjoy fetching buckets, collecting in my storage bins and then long hours of boiling...can't beat it!

Id do it even if all I got out of it was sryup for ME!

not_for_sale
03-11-2013, 06:24 AM
Don,

I put nothing in there re:equipment. Just looking at the time. If I looked at e equipment it would be worse.

Joe

jputney
03-11-2013, 07:16 AM
A couple years ago when I was at about a hundred taps I kept track of all my time start to finish and then figured the retail value of the syrup and I was right around $2/hr. In a small operation it is about the love of making the best syrup you can. The joy of giving it to family and friends. And that smell...... How can a guy get through spring without that smell off of the evaporator???? Thats gotta be the best smell in the world. Or the taste of that first syrup... when you take a spoonful right off of the filter...oh there is nothing better. I could go on and on........

happy thoughts
03-11-2013, 08:11 AM
Yes, it's a drug:) I do it just for the fun of it, the smell, the taste, and the joy of giving it to family and friends who can't wait for the first of the season. If I had kids around, I'd say you can't put a price on doing things with your children and giving them memories that may last their lifetime.

Now about your #1- are you sure you counted your yield right? If your bottles are the sizes I think they are then you made more than you think by my count which is more than 320 oz. Of course, I can't balance my checkbook..... :)

SevenCreeksSap
03-11-2013, 05:17 PM
I dont really consider the time to be a factor because what else would you be doing? I'd rather be doing something even a bit productive than not. Most would be watching TV, a total waste of time. I'm not getting another job, at least a paying one other than making syrup, because they'll just take it and give it away to someone watching TV, so no point in that.
Cutting and splitting the wood all year keeps me in better shape. I agree about the smell, I sometimes just stand there over the cloud and breath it in. maybe not the best idea. On the other hand, with all the minerals in syrup standing in the steam cloud has to be making me younger, or at least have better skin, gotta be fewer wrinkles!

Think of the time spent with your kids and the lessons they're learning. Many intangibles, so I don't even think about the time as a cost or a loss.

SDdave
03-12-2013, 08:27 PM
Did you account for lost syrup from the filter nome's? They come in before you filter your syrup and make a distraction. Some reports of such distractions have included a knock on the door, the phone ringing, or even dogs that want to be let out. Then they steal your hard earned syrup when your not looking. You may have been a victim...

Have fun with it all, otherwise it's a job!

SDdave

PerryW
03-12-2013, 09:51 PM
I guy with my size operation can make $5000 worth of product (100 gal, 50 hours of boiling) in 6 weeks and still have time to do plenty of non-sugaring work and activity (if your work is flexible). Expenses for a low-tech, no vacuum, no RO end up a little less than $1000 annually. Including 2 more weeks to get firewood for next season, that's $4000 for two months of sugaring!

Asthepotthickens
03-13-2013, 07:24 AM
Maple Addict. Kinda sums it up. Aside from labour including cutting a pile of wood its relatively inexpensive. Somewhat like fishing you buy all the gear and catch a few fish.

ennismaple
03-13-2013, 12:57 PM
I don't want to figure out what I make per hour and I don't really care much. I look at it as a hobby that pays some bills, buys me some toys and allows us to continue to work the family farm while teaching my kids about hard work and where food comes from.