PDA

View Full Version : cool Picture!

DonMcJr
03-11-2013, 12:02 AM
I dont know if you can see it but this looks like a perfect boil to me...
Starting from the top left you have the preheater dripping sap in...

Then you see a full boil from the front of the first channel all the way to the back half of the 3rd channel...

Then you can see almost syrup bubbling gently near the bottom right.

Wow it gets biring out here by yourself!

DonMcJr
03-11-2013, 12:49 AM
Heres a video too!

http://youtu.be/lYT_-QmUbFg

DonMcJr
03-11-2013, 01:29 AM
Boiling even harder!

http://youtu.be/76uMIYHFFHI

TerryEspo
03-11-2013, 08:29 AM
Hi Don......

I like the second boil better.

Looks like your gable vent is working too, not much steam in your building, yippee !!

Thanks for sharing.

Terry

bowtie
03-11-2013, 10:05 AM
i am going to see if my boys will take some video with their i-pads tonight and post it. i want all three of my sections dancing, my first section should be boiling about half-down, the middle section should just about be boiling over and the last section will just a little les than the middle.i run my sap at 1"-1 1/2" and put my blower at about half-speed. i bet if you could get blower on that it would really get ripping.i may burn more wood than most and have to clean more often but i want that boil just about jumping out of the pan. i know it is going good when i can't see into my pan from all the steam!!

bowhunter
03-11-2013, 11:40 AM
I also have a half pint and have done quite a bit of experimenting with different wood and firing techniques. I don't have a blower, but I can boil all three sections to a point of over flowing. I've found the wood has to be split small and it should be dry. Last week I got a load of scrap soft lumber from a local packaging company. The wood is all pine and fir at about 5% moister. As a comparison seasoned firewood is about 20% moisture. The largest pieces are 2 x 4 inches. I have to run with the ash door almost closed once the arch gets hot. I have 12 feet of stack and I put some half brick in the gap between the grate and the door to keep the combustion air from by passing the grate. I was also able to boil the 2 and 3rd section over with green wild cherry, but I had to run with the ash door about half open and I had to split the wood to about half the size of my wrist. The only point I'm trying to make is you may not need a blower on a half pint if you can get your hands on the right kind of wood. The blower probably would be a lot more forgiving of different wood quality, but will definitely increase wood consumption.