PDA

View Full Version : When is my syrup done?

JEHardy01-Ohio
03-10-2013, 07:43 PM
This weekend I did my first boil. I boiled approximately 5 gallons of sap and only ended up with enough syrup to fill a "Red Solo cup" about 2/3 full. I am wondering if I boiled it too long and boiled off the syrup? What I did end up with tastes awesome but I want more of it. I have read that your syrup is done at 219 degrees and if you have a hyrdometer when the level is 32 BRX? I do not have a hydrometer so looking for tips on how to know when it is done. I have another 8 gallons that I plan to boil tomorrow and would like to end up with as much syrup as possible.

I thought the ratio of SAP to syrup was approx 10:1....

wnybassman
03-10-2013, 07:48 PM
This weekend I did my first boil. I boiled approximately 5 gallons of sap and only ended up with enough syrup to fill a "Red Solo cup" about 2/3 full. I am wondering if I boiled it too long and boiled off the syrup? What I did end up with tastes awesome but I want more of it. I have read that your syrup is done at 219 degrees and if you have a hyrdometer when the level is 32 BRX? I do not have a hydrometer so looking for tips on how to know when it is done. I have another 8 gallons that I plan to boil tomorrow and would like to end up with as much syrup as possible.

I thought the ratio of SAP to syrup was approx 10:1....

It's usually 40:1 to 50:1 on average

MapleLady
03-10-2013, 07:51 PM
Keep at it. You did well. The ratio is about 40-45 gals. sap to 1 gal. syrup, depending on sugar content of your sap. I boil my sap until it reaches a temperature 7 degrees above the boiling temp for water of that day. So, if water reaches boiling point at 212 today, I would boil my sap until it reached 219 degrees. This is what worked for me last year. This year I will also check with a hydrometer. I will be finishing syrup tomorrow from my 'almost syrup' I boiled down yesterday!

Michael Greer
03-10-2013, 08:17 PM
It's fun isn't it? If you can't afford a hydrometer this year, visit another sugarhouse, and have some old-timer show you how to do a test using only the flat edge of the scoop. It isn't exactly accurate but close enough for your own pancakes. The proper consistency, or sugar content, is that spot where the syrup doesn't turn into crystals (too thick), and doesn't turn into vinegar (too thin). Either way is delicious, and if you put it in the fridge or freezer, it'll keep.

lyford
03-10-2013, 08:40 PM
buy yourself a hydrometer, you wont be sorry

JEHardy01-Ohio
03-10-2013, 09:02 PM
I'll definitely have one for next year...

JEHardy01-Ohio
03-10-2013, 09:07 PM
I'm hooked! This year was two trees with one tap each. My property is close to 3 hours away so when I returned my buckets were overflowing. Next year I will have better supplies, a better system and a plan to make it to the property on a weekly basis during the sugar season. From what I am reading, mine turned out perfect. It is a dark brown..very rich looking with a great consistency...no sugar crystals and not too thick.

PerryW
03-10-2013, 10:05 PM
you did good then! As long is you refrigerate your syrup, you don;t have to worry too much about being a little bit off in density.