PDA

View Full Version : Coffee urn stem?

jake22si
03-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Do you leave the stem out or in when using a coffee urn to bottle with?

wnybassman
03-10-2013, 08:05 PM
Do you leave the stem out or in when using a coffee urn to bottle with?

I leave the stem in while going through the brewing cycle with water in it. I dump the water after it kicks into warming mode, then the stem comes out.

psparr
03-10-2013, 11:05 PM
The stem isn't necessary. Just put an inch of water in and run it till its ready.

jake22si
03-11-2013, 08:00 PM
Ok, I'm not a coffee drinker so never used one of these before. Sooo much better than trying to use a large pot and small funnel to bottle the tins. I love it.

wnybassman
03-11-2013, 08:45 PM
Ok, I'm not a coffee drinker so never used one of these before. Sooo much better than trying to use a large pot and small funnel to bottle the tins. I love it.

I used a ladle and funnel for YEARS! The urn is soooo much easier. I bottled 2 3/4 gallons all at once tonight. It seems like the more you have the better it filters and the faster it goes.

Cindee
03-18-2013, 08:03 AM
Hi,
How exactly do you do this? I am assuming the syrup is filtered for the last time before putting it into the coffee urn. So, the way I am reading this is you put water in the urn, heat it up, pour it out, put in your finished syrup and the coffee pot will heat this to 180-190 and then you just lift the handle and fill your jars, is that it? How long does it take for the urn to heat your syrup to the desired degrees needed?

Revi
03-18-2013, 08:31 AM
The urn has a filler spout on it. It makes it really easy!

wnybassman
03-18-2013, 12:33 PM
Hi,
How exactly do you do this? I am assuming the syrup is filtered for the last time before putting it into the coffee urn. So, the way I am reading this is you put water in the urn, heat it up, pour it out, put in your finished syrup and the coffee pot will heat this to 180-190 and then you just lift the handle and fill your jars, is that it? How long does it take for the urn to heat your syrup to the desired degrees needed?

I put my filters right at the top of the urn, and filter the finished hot syrup right into it. The urn isn't used to heat up the syrup, but rather maintain warmth. While syrup is passing through the filters, I am bottling.

sugarwoodacres
03-18-2013, 07:28 PM
wnyb, thanks for clarifying . Ive tried 2 different urns and temp of syrup does drop off . Ive also tried to heat up syrup in from room temp, NG , now I went to walmart and bought a good stainless steel pot and tapped a stainless spigot onto it and can now reheat on a camp stove to bottle at 190 like we should . Thanks again.

wnybassman
03-18-2013, 08:31 PM
Mine holds pretty steady at 190-194 until the last little bit. The last pint or so usually hits the fridge anyway, awaiting the next batch then I pour it into that syrup just before it finishes. I've had worse luck trying to bring cool syrup back up to bottling temp without forming at least a little niter in the process.