PDA

View Full Version : sap storage

newmod
03-10-2013, 05:53 PM
How Long can sap be stored in a food safe container before cooking it down. I'm new to this and gonna have a lot of questions. Thanks

DonMcJr
03-10-2013, 07:36 PM
If its below 40 f and in the shade you should be ok for a week id guess.

If you're worried take some empty milk jugs, clean them out and fill the 3/4 full of sap and freeze them inYou're freezer. Float them right in the sap. I always have as many as im floating in my freezer so I can switch them out...

MapleLady
03-10-2013, 07:43 PM
If the weather is cool, a week should be ok. Do you have snow on the ground there? I try to mound up the snow around my storage containers as much as I can to keep things cool. Also, I freeze water in water bottles, soda bottles or whatever I have handy to float in my sap storage. It really helps on warmer days. Enjoy your season! It's a great hobby!

Run Forest Run!
03-10-2013, 08:20 PM
I've got mine in a food grade pail buried in the snow beside my propane fryer

smokeyamber
03-11-2013, 02:57 PM
Snowbanks are your friend with sap storage:lol:, find a nice protected spot where the snow melts last and bury your storage barrels there. They say to treat sap like milk so don't let it get warm. Some people will freeze 5 gallons of sap in the freezer and then put in the sap as a short term cooling strategy. Best if you are at that point to boil it... for us weekend boilers... that may mean taking a day off. I plan some time off around this time just in case... like when it was 80 degrees last year :o

Maplesapper
03-11-2013, 03:22 PM
Last weekend, we collected 180 gals and boiled 130 gals and ran out of time.
We put the other 50 gals in the pan and boiled it for 2 hours to sterilize.
Keeps a week no problem, but maybe offers up a darker finished product.

newmod
03-12-2013, 08:56 AM
Thanks guys,