PDA

View Full Version : Running a drop flue pan need input please!!!!!!!!!

cpmaple
03-10-2013, 06:27 AM
Well last night was my first time running a drop flue before i had rasie flue. While running the rig i had the float set at 1" over the flues but when it got ripping and i looked in the flues had real little sap over them with it boiling so hard. Do i need to increase the depth so that there is always sap there more of but in return it makes my front pan run deeper like 2" instead of 1" which i prefer. Please give me some advise thanks cpmaple

maplecrest
03-10-2013, 06:42 AM
How does your float adjust? Do you have the old ladder style? Or post with twist slide. i took a marker and marked where worked best. with drop flue as season goes on you will need to add more at float. watch the intake box on opposite side of draw in front pan for you depth.as long as the flues have sap going over top of them they will be fine. some times when front gets deep i would adjust float for less. but would readjust before draw again to be sure enough sap to push syrup around. you will need to fine tune your float as well as your self. one float system not two with raised flue.

cpmaple
03-10-2013, 07:00 AM
Maplecrest i was doing just what you said its a ladder style working great just alot of adjusting to it and myself after running a raise flue for 3 years. thanks for the input now its time for me to get into the woods and collect buckets from yesterday run. then to add a gravity line. thanks again cpmaple

Daves Maple Farm
03-10-2013, 12:43 PM
We have 2x8 drop and try to run 1/2 inch to 1 inch over top of flu pan. We watch the single float like a hock and dont hesitate to overide it. Seems, for some reason, the float goes whacky. Have tried everything to let it go hands off, but dont trust it to keep a steady flow. Seems like when liquid in the flue pan gets really low, it decides not to let more in or it will gush and add too much. :confused: