PDA

View Full Version : Digital barometer

rjines
03-09-2013, 06:20 PM
I purchased a digital barometer which also tells the boiling point of water, figured it would give me a good starting point for testing my syrup with hydrometer. When I use the barometer and add 7 for syrup it is not even close, anyone else have experience with this type of equipment? The syrup was finally the right density 10 degrees over what the barometer said the boiling point of water was supposed to be. Not sure if I should send the unit back, it cost around $160.

JAMIE
03-09-2013, 10:22 PM
I just recieved a dial type barameter from Atkinsons and before i could use it i had to set the dial for the barometric pressure at my location,not sure if it is the same with a digital barometer .Mine was way off.

Bucket Head
03-09-2013, 10:28 PM
The barometer is an accurate piece of equipment. I have one. However, the "seven degrees over" thing is wrong. I have never made syrup there and many other producers will tell you the same thing. When comparing hydrometer and temperature readings here, I'm usually between 9 and 10 degrees over. I have no idea who came up with the seven degree thing, but pay no attention to it. Good luck this season.

Steve

maple flats
03-11-2017, 11:44 AM
Steve, is that why I need to boil longer in my finisher after setting the auto draw to dump at 219.2? When it is clear and sunny I set it up.2 and when raining or snow I set it .2 under that. We must be close to the same elevation.
I didn't notice how old this post was til after I posted. It should still be valid.