PDA

View Full Version : no sap weather in the 10day forecast

bison1973
03-09-2013, 04:57 PM
tapped evrything on thrus and friday. Shut off th VAC today as I couldn't justify keeping it on... no sap.

Looks like I could have waited to tap.

Am I starting to smell a skunk for 2013??? If we get a late start I hope there's no sudden warm up as it looks like it will be at least out to the 20th before anything real happens.

GramaCindy
03-09-2013, 07:36 PM
Now, Now, RELAX bison….the weathermen and forecasts are NOTORIOIUSLY wrong. Just get a nice sunny late afternoon and all HE** will break loose. Heck Your're in Clark Co, I tapped yesterday in Bayfield County…it's all weather and faith based….faith as in weather history that is…also the faith in the man upstairs.

dschultz
03-10-2013, 07:51 AM
Hang on Tim,it will get here later than we want,but it's still early.My average date for starting cooking is the 15th but I think it will be a week later this year.It's coming just give it time.

motowbrowne
03-13-2013, 01:06 PM
You drilling yet Danny? We put half our taps out, then they lowered the forecast, so I quit drilling. Another 5 degrees would sure be nice.

Jeff E
03-13-2013, 01:36 PM
I think we are at the point were putting taps in wont hurt. Even if nothing runs for while it should still be fine in early April...

syrup2make
03-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Looks like I wont be tapping until March 23rd. It's gotta be running good by then. Hope the run lasts a while.

mike z
03-13-2013, 06:58 PM
After last year we're all spooked, we all have a little post traumatic stress thing going on. I remember a few years back, I made all my syrup in April. I thought it was odd because the year before I made it all in March. We just need to settle down and take a breath, the sap will come. But I better be tapped by Easter.

markcasper
03-14-2013, 01:04 AM
Looked at the weather again, now even colder next week than what WCCO said earlier today, and 6 - 12 inches more snow by Monday......glad I haven't tapped yet.

GramaCindy
03-14-2013, 05:31 AM
and Bummer for me….I did tap. Now I am actually worried about my tap holes starting to close up before the season even gets going. I tapped on March 8th, the forecast looked really good then (darnit) and now it looks like we won't even start until the 22 or so. I have a question. If it's too cold for the sap to run, could it also mean that the microbial growth in the tap hole is held off from starting as well? I certainly hope so, after last year, I really was looking forward to a "normal" year this time around.

dschultz
03-14-2013, 05:32 AM
You drilling yet Danny? We put half our taps out, then they lowered the forecast, so I quit drilling. Another 5 degrees would sure be nice. Yes were going at it,but it is slow going with snow up to your knee's.Yesterday the tree's we tapped were running strong.The drops were chasing each other,2 drops per second.

Jeff E
03-14-2013, 07:50 AM
and Bummer for me….I did tap. Now I am actually worried about my tap holes starting to close up before the season even gets going. I tapped on March 8th, the forecast looked really good then (darnit) and now it looks like we won't even start until the 22 or so. I have a question. If it's too cold for the sap to run, could it also mean that the microbial growth in the tap hole is held off from starting as well? I certainly hope so, after last year, I really was looking forward to a "normal" year this time around.

Certainly it would seem best to tap as late as possible. But with clean taps and frozen wood, I think you can tap early and not suffer much. PATheron starts tapping in January, and he typically runs sap through March, making commercial grade syrup until he cant take it any more. His taps keep running.

I tapped early too, but I am using new tap adaptors each year (check valves and health spout adaptors), so I am not overly concerned.
The way forecast's were off the last few weeks, I would not be surprised if there off for the next few weeks as well. All we need here is about 5 degrees warmer and it will get going.

markcasper
03-14-2013, 10:42 AM
Yes were going at it,but it is slow going with snow up to your knee's.Yesterday the tree's we tapped were running strong.The drops were chasing each other,2 drops per second.

Are the trees you are tapping on the south side, or on the level? That is good to hear they are running that strong, that means its close!

If your using new taps there won't be anything to worry about, open taps I'd be a little concerned. I'd be at it if I didn't have so much new line to install. Box elder by my syrup shack had a long icicle from it yesterday, when that happens you know its about time to begin.

dschultz
03-14-2013, 07:45 PM
[QUOTE=markcasper;214593]Are the trees you are tapping on the south side, or on the level?
The wood's is east facing,and it didn't matter what side of the tree I tapped. Besides it was a bright sunny day with the wind out of the northwest.

]

motowbrowne
03-15-2013, 10:44 AM
I'm glad we only did half of ours when we tapped last week. They keep saying there's warm weather five days out. Look again in two days, there's warm weather five days out. I don't mind making syrup into april, but wish they wouldn't have teased us with warm forecasts so I could have held out on tapping another two weeks. I have a lot of old open taps, which seem to be a little more liable to dry up.

Jeff E
03-15-2013, 11:39 AM
Guess what? 6 days out there is a warm up forecast!

markcasper
03-15-2013, 02:54 PM
6 days can't be soon enough!

Jeff, Have you gotten any sap yet with the vacuum? Yesterday's sunshine tripped my other test tree into action finally. They both were 3 seconds to a drop. I will be tapping the first of next week.

Jeff E
03-15-2013, 03:08 PM
6 days can't be soon enough!

Jeff, Have you gotten any sap yet with the vacuum? Yesterday's sunshine tripped my other test tree into action finally. They both were 3 seconds to a drop. I will be tapping the first of next week.

I have got a very little. Yesterday afternoon, from about 3pm to 5pm I got about 200 gallons on 2600 taps....pretty week. The trees are simply frozen.

dschultz
03-15-2013, 03:16 PM
When we least expect it the tree's are going to let loose.All we need is the night's to stay in the mid to upper 20's,and even if the daytime temp is in the mid 30's with sun there going to go.In other word's there going to catch us with our pant's down.

Jeff E
03-15-2013, 03:52 PM
Thats why I wear a belt!

Actually that is why I got the 200 gallons yesterday. Any sap at this point lets me find vac leaks, sticky releasers, stubburn pumps, etc. I want to be ready, or as others would say, I want to be caught with my pants up;)

dschultz
03-19-2013, 04:40 AM
Just watched ag day weather,and there saying were going to be below normal for temp through April. If that hold's true we'll have snow on the ground well into April.