PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning SS pans

dave44090
03-08-2013, 04:39 PM
I use 2 stainless steel steam pans for my boiling, directly on top of my fire in my cinder block evaporator. The bottom of the pans get covered with soot after a run and is slightly difficult to clean. Worse yet is the top of the pan where the sap boils up and burns, charring the pans terribly. Only product I know of to clean it is elbow grease and steel wool. I try to keep the pans full, up to about 1/2" from the top.

Is there anything I can do to pretreat it, to reduce the burning sap on top of the stainless steel? or perhaps a product to help me clean it after a run?

happy thoughts
03-08-2013, 05:29 PM
Last year I cleaned inside and out after every boil. Too messy! This year I just brush off any built off flaky soot on the outside and clean the inside with Bar Keepers Friend a nonabrasive cleaner for SS and a soft nylon scotch brite scrubby. The BKF does a good job of removing any niter as well which can look like a hazy white film or spots on the bottom. You can also just try soaking the inside with hot soapy water or water and vinegar and then use a soft scrubby. At the end of the season Easy Off cleaner will make short work of the soot on the bottom. I personally would not use steel wool unless it's very fine grade and even that may be too abrasive for me if it leaves scratches. Anyway, that's the routine that works for me and my steam pans.

good luk and have a great season

sugarwoodacres
03-08-2013, 07:53 PM
white venegar . works amazing . my evap pans shine after a 4 hour soak and little scotchbrite.