PDA

View Full Version : Spile, bucket and lid mismatch

Run Forest Run!
03-08-2013, 01:37 PM
I have a bit of a problem that maybe someone on here has already solved.

I bought some 7/16 taps and am using blue plastic buckets and metal lids. The issue is this...
The metal lid is laying directly across the end of the spile's spout and my sap is running down the inside of the metal lid and ON TO THE GROUND. Not ideal at all.

As a stop-gap I'm going to try to rig up some kind of thing to prop up the lid to raise it above the end of the spout, but I don't see that being a long-term fix. Anyone had this experience and found the solution?

Thanks.

P.S. Today is the very first day for sap for me and to watch it hit the dirt is not going over well. :o

milkjugsapper
03-08-2013, 08:45 PM
I've had this happen with a couple of smaller buckets. Fixed temporarily by laying a twig across the spout and the weight of the lid held it in place and sap flowed under the twig fine. Suppose a more permanent fix would be to expand the hinge hole in the lid beyond the tip of the spout? Would still keep out most of the rain, snow, etc.

Run Forest Run!
03-08-2013, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the suggestion milkjugsapper. I can see this problem is going to require some ingenuity.

sugarwoodacres
03-08-2013, 09:47 PM
Expand the hole but put ductape over hole to keep rain and snow out . Im not a genius , I found it on here:-|

Run Forest Run!
03-08-2013, 09:51 PM
Expand the hole but put ductape over hole to keep rain and snow out . Im not a genius , I found it on here:-|

Maybe I'm just not thinking straight, but if I make the hole in my bucket larger, wouldn't that just make the problem worse??:confused:

upsmapleman
03-09-2013, 06:07 AM
Not sure what spile you are using but if you can bend the tip down and drip will fall into bucket.

happy thoughts
03-09-2013, 07:27 AM
A wad of chewing gum on the top of the spout:o??? Just kidding:) Maybe a bead of food grade caulking. Or a few rubber bands and a small ball of foil? The twig idea sounded OK. You could also try slipping the lid through a coat hanger to raise the lid off the edge. Good luck! I'm sure you'll think of something:)

DonMcJr
03-09-2013, 09:27 AM
Picture Please...That would help us figure it out...

tstew
03-09-2013, 10:21 AM
if its the flat style lid you can just slightly bend it so it is a little bit higher at the spile. Usually just flex it a little so it has a very slight high spot in center and it will usualy clear the spile. It doesn't take much and I have done this in the past when I used to use buckets.

argohauler
03-17-2013, 07:16 AM
if its the flat style lid you can just slightly bend it so it is a little bit higher at the spile. Usually just flex it a little so it has a very slight high spot in center and it will usualy clear the spile. It doesn't take much and I have done this in the past when I used to use buckets.

That's what I did if it ran down the lid. Just bend the lid a little.

Run Forest Run!
03-17-2013, 08:02 PM
Thanks so much everyone. I did bend a few lids and that helped. On one of the other ones I tried the twig trick, and that worked too. On a couple of others I duct taped a small wooden block to the bottom of the lid to raise it up. That worked. And on a few others I took the plastic bucket off and jammed a water jug onto the spile and called it a day. In the long run I think bending the lid or using water jugs instead are the best and most permanent solutions for mismatched buckets, spiles and lids.

cvmaple
03-17-2013, 10:21 PM
I have the same issue and I put a stick between the tree and the bottom of the bucket. That seems to straighten the bucket up and lift the lid off the front of the spile. This works if it is not too windy. Good luck on your season.