PDA

View Full Version : Gast 1550 Woes

Mapledawg
03-08-2013, 07:35 AM
Okay, got a used Gast 1550 last night, all excited. Then when I hooked up to 1 hp pump 3750 rpm, no vacuum. After spraying WD40 in inlet outlet, I decided to tear apart to look for any troubles. After seeing the simplicity of this thing, how in the world can it not work!?!? I am left scratching my head. No valves, only ports with 1 slotted rotor (see pics). Can anyone provide me a clue what could be wrong? It was rotating in right direction (arrow). Maybe someone tore apart earlier and reversed front and back covers maybe? Not enough oil in bottom reservoir? I have no clue. Any suggestions please?

mike first timer
03-08-2013, 08:31 AM
Were are your vanes? There should be some black i think they are carbon vanes in those 4 slots.

twofer
03-08-2013, 08:35 AM
I assume you pulled the vanes for the pictures? If you did, what do they look like?

Mapledawg
03-08-2013, 08:44 AM
Whoaa, now were getting somewhere :). There were no "black vanes" or anything when I tore apart. That's why I could not figure how this could work. Maybe someone cannibalized. Any idea where I can get these vanes? DO they come in a rebuild kit? Thanks a ton for the prompt responses guys.

nymapleguy607
03-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Kinequip if you google it you will find them online, This was from another site but they said it was the place to get gast parts.

Gary R
03-08-2013, 10:49 AM
I am not familiar with the 1550. Gast makes lubricated and oilless pumps. If it is an oilless pump, do not use any petroleum products to clean or lubricate it. Carbon vanes will swell and shatter, then you will buy new vanes again. Good luck with the pump. If you get them running right they are trouble free.

03-08-2013, 11:11 AM
That looks like the one I had that needs oil in that little cup on top and it I don't think you can get vanes for it one guy I talked to who works with gast pumps all the time didn't even recognize it he had to dig through some stuff to find out about it. It worked ok for a while then it would barely pull 12 inches right at the pump. If I were you I would get that ac pump I know someone on here who pulls good vac with one on a similar amount of taps. He has a thread in the homebuilt section on his homemade releaser and he posts which pump he is using. His username is jrgagne99. He is more then willing to share his set up with you.

Mapledawg
03-08-2013, 12:24 PM
I will check that out. I called Kinequip (thanks Jeff) and the vanes come in rebuild kit K231A and is 178.00.!! I am a little worried as the model # has a C designator at end and cannot make out the tag completely. I ended up ordering the 8CFM as it was cheap (a little more than the rebuild kit) and who knows, may possibly be a back-up in time of need. Meanwhile, I am a little reluctant to invest in unknown parts and might as well buy a used working 1550 later. I may eventually rebuild this Gast as I like the challenge, simplicity and durability of design. Cant beat the price as I got it for free. Reliability sells me everytime. THanks