PDA

View Full Version : help pan leaking how to fix

huntingken111
03-07-2013, 08:33 PM
I bought a divided stainless maybe 22 gauge cheap from a guy off craigslist. He was not a very good welder awful spotty all over he made it himself. Now that I'm using my new arch and not cinder blocks I can see my outside pan because smoke is going out chimney leak in corner. How do I fix it I tried to use same solder as I use when I sweat copper pipes togather but not really working any suggestions would help please

Scribner's Mountain Maple
03-07-2013, 09:19 PM
If it is stainless you are trying to solder, I suggest bringing it somewhere and having them weld it. If a small whole, it shouldn't be over 50 bucks.

backyard sugaring
03-07-2013, 09:22 PM
You will need harris liquid flux, lead free solder with silvering bearing, and big solder iron. Good luck. Lee

huntingken111
03-07-2013, 09:36 PM
Thanks will atorch work instead of iron

Moser's Maple
03-07-2013, 09:38 PM
I remember 1 time when grandpa was getting older he ran the old english tin pan a little thin during boiling and put a hole in it, as my father was losing it thinking the pan was going to melt into the fire, grandpa calmly walked over to the shelf, opened the sap valve a little bit, and grabbed a handful of cornmeal and placed it where the leak was. It worked!!! and got them through until they could fix the pan properly. so if you are in a pinch, try cornmeal for a temporary fix...not sure if it will work on stainless like the tin, but worth a try in the heat of the moment........other than that I would say get it fixed properly as soon as possible.
Jake Moser
Moser's Maple

maple flats
03-08-2013, 05:10 AM
I've used a torch, but it is very hard to get a neat job. Soldering irons will give you a neater job. Neat will translate to easier to clean in the future.. Before you can solder it you must get it perfectly clean. In a corner that can be tricky in itself.
Use silver solder, and flux designed for SS. If using a torch, be very careful not to get it too hot, that will warp the area. There is a very fine line between too cool and too hot. An iron helps in that department. To clean the iron, get some "sal ammoniac". File the iron clean (only use perfectly clean or better, a new file) get the iron physically clean, then get it hot and rub it on the sal ammoniac (it is a solid). Then after cleaning and fluxing the area, get the iron hot, apply silver bearing solder to the iron and hold it momentarily to the repair area, from underneath Then apply a little more solder inside quickly and remove the iron. You must keep the iron hot enough to melt the solder while using. When you remove it, slide it, don't pull it away from the repair.

huntingken111
03-08-2013, 08:51 PM
Thanks for help used torch didn't do so well but leak stopped hopefully friend comes thru to have new pan made at college then I'm going to 30 inch by 6 feet with dividers