PDA

View Full Version : New Stainless Steel Pan Maintenance

Twindadx2
03-07-2013, 08:04 PM
Looking for some advice/tips on new pan maintenance, cleaning, in between boils and end of the season. I have a 2x5 ss flat pan and pre heater coming that are brand new. They are 20g 304 stainless steel. This is our second year boiling and I just made an oil tank arch. I was wondering if I need to clean it or boil some water in it first before I put the sap in, and what you guys do to maintain the pans and end of the season.

Scribner's Mountain Maple
03-07-2013, 08:43 PM
I would boil water first if they are new. Just to make sure there are no leaks. As far as cleaning during the season, do so as needed, like if a lot of scum/niter builds up. Drain pan of sap and boil water and white vinegar (100-1 ratio works), add a little elbow grease and it will clean it up good. Rinse with water good and you are ready to pour your sap back in. When I drain arch during season for a cleaning, I filter sap coming out of arch so when I put it back in the clean pans it is all together cleaner. After the season, clean like before and store out of the weather.