PDA

View Full Version : sap sacks

chicken123
03-07-2013, 02:40 PM
I'm putting some more taps out this year and thinking about using sap sacks. Do they work good? how often do they get leaks? do they blow off trees much? i'm going to make my own PVC holders.:confused:

bairdswift
03-07-2013, 03:20 PM
If your trees have any one of wire around then its gunna get poped. My PVC holders worked better then the real holders. I bought 30 real holders because I liked the idea of the clean bag, used them one season and traded them for buckets because most all mine leaked by the end of the season do to field side trees with old barb wire around. Bags poped he same PVC holders as real ones but the PVC holders did not blow away as much

valleyman
03-07-2013, 03:23 PM
I like them even though they blew off the trees last light and when they fall off you gonna get some pin holes. Granted we are in the middle of another massive Noreaster storm.

Some are thiner than others. Get them from a reputable maple equipment supplier. But the convenience is nice.

lastwoodsman
03-07-2013, 03:26 PM
I have used them for three years and not a problem 1 out of 100 may get a hole from a animal or something else. Far better than buckets for storing,cleaning and longevity.
Woodsman

chicken123
03-07-2013, 03:30 PM
Thanks . I'm thinking about getting them from Bascom. Anybody got any from them? Are they thick enough to last?

valleyman
03-07-2013, 03:38 PM
Bascom is where I got my better bags from. They stand up to abuse better. At least the ones I got from them a couple seasons ago.

A mapletrader suggested I use duct tape along the bottom edge to make them more squirrel resistant. Haven't seen a squirrel bother them but it toughened them up a bit I guess.

The downfall is you lose the traditional bucket look. So around the house when company comes I swap em out to make it look purdy.

chicken123
03-07-2013, 04:16 PM
How much sap will they hold?

CampHamp
03-07-2013, 04:25 PM
I have 3 from Bascoms (holders and bags) and they worked great for me. They can probably hold close to 3 gallons - but haven't measured it.

spencer11
03-07-2013, 04:58 PM
Check out roths sugar bush, they have holders for under $3 and sacs for $0.27, I think they work good, it's nice to know that you can see how much is in them so you know if you need to collect. I've only seen 4 gallon bags, not sure they make other sizes

chicken123
03-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Check out roths sugar bush, they have holders for under $3 and sacs for $0.27, I think they work good, it's nice to know that you can see how much is in them so you know if you need to collect. I've only seen 4 gallon bags, not sure they make other sizes

Thanks. I looked on thier website but, I couldn't find them. Are they on there?

spencer11
03-07-2013, 06:52 PM
Thanks. I looked on thier website but, I couldn't find them. Are they on there?
They are usually under gathering and testing supplies, not today for some reason though.mlast I saw they were $2.65 each and are stainless, bascoms are galvanized. I have PVC holders to but they fall off sometimes cause of the wind, I've never had a metal one fall off

huntingken111
03-07-2013, 07:10 PM
I too made my own pvc holders and instead of stainless for the bag holders my neighbor gave me scrap gutter sheet metal (Aluminum) and made my own sac holders from them. To keep on dry windy days I put light wire around taps and wrap around pvc holders and then under tap and fold around top of tap (like a loop) and then wind don't affect them also put break out caps ($.25 each at home depot to keep rain out.

aws
03-08-2013, 05:02 AM
To help prevent leak hole we save last years bags and use them as a second layer the following year. Adds a little protection against small holes developing.

backyard sugaring
03-10-2013, 09:15 PM
In front of my old farmhouse I put out old buckets. Inside the bucket I cut a hole in the top of a bag and slide it over the spile. This way I have food grade collections and the nice look of old buckets. Lee

chicken123
03-21-2013, 04:22 PM
Anyone ever get sap sacks from RMG famliy sugarbush? How are they?