PDA

View Full Version : Partially boiled down sap sediments

Kyle Baker
03-07-2013, 05:08 AM
Last night I started a batch, reduced it down and covered and kept cold for the night. I plan to continue tonight after work, but just wanted to ask if its normal to have a lot of grungy looking sediment after doing it like this? If so I'll just filter it again before I restart tonight.
The sap was about a week old, but it smelled good and was still crystal clear when I started. Everything smelled and tasted normal.

Thanks

psparr
03-07-2013, 05:21 AM
Keep on boiling. It's fine

Kyle Baker
03-07-2013, 06:48 AM
since its cold should I dump it through a filter just to take some gunk out? or leave it in for flavor? haha

happy thoughts
03-07-2013, 06:54 AM
since its cold should I dump it through a filter just to take some gunk out? or leave it in for flavor? haha

If you have the time and want to go to the trouble, filter it. It will be less junk to remove at the end when the syrup is thicker and may not be as easy to filter. just my 2 cents:)

bowtie
03-07-2013, 09:02 AM
just run it through a pre-filter and it will save you time later and keep your pan cleaner. i find the same type of thing when i boil and draw off and let it settle for the night, to finish later. it will not hurt at all to keep boiling especially if you keep it in your pan, in the future you can draw it off and let it settle for the night. in my limited experience you cannot filterto much!