PDA

View Full Version : Home made pans

madtrapper
03-06-2013, 07:42 PM
I've been told that some people use mild steel 18-20 ga to make there pans. I know ss is what you want but if you can't afford to buy it right now would this be a sensible alternative?? If anyone has any experiance with steel pans let me know please. I am saving up to buy some scrap ss but untill then!!!

TerryEspo
03-06-2013, 07:51 PM
For two short seasons I used mild steel for my pan.

Two years ago, I posted here to ask about the same question and got replies it is o.k. Just more work than stainless.

I knocked myself out making sure there was no rust, oiled it continually when not in use, boiled water first before any sap went near it, then, after just water I boiled sugar water, a 5 lbs bag of sugar mixed with water to season and seal the pan.

Then I would boil my sap. Bottom line, great syrup, no funny taste. For many, many years good ole regular steel had been used for boiling.

All that said, the sooner you get useing stainless they better you will feel about it.

You always have a negative gut feeling in the back of your mind when useing regular steel pans.

I would use mild steel if I did not have stainless. People here will tell you not to sell any you make for sure,,,for personal use,,,go for it.

Terry

Big_Eddy
03-07-2013, 02:23 PM
madtrapper
Lots of folks using mild steel pans. Nothing to worry about and not going to harm you at all as long as it starts clean and is looked after. Clean doesn't have to mean shiny. I have a 20+ yr old mild steel pan on my wall that's been well used and would still boil in it today if I hadn't built a bigger evaporator.

Suggestions - a layer of sugar will bond to the surface. That is expected and that is okay. Leave it there. Don't clean it off at the end of the season. Likewise - don't clean off the soot from the bottom at the end of the season. Both will protect the pan from rusting. Hang it up in a dry location and everything will be fine.

At the beginning of each season, give it a good cleaning inside and out with hot water and a brush (no soap) and then fill it with sap and start again. Some folks like to oil their pan at the end of the season. It's not needed if you don't take the layer of sugar off.

DON'T leave it sitting outside with sap or syrup in it for an extended period of time. Mild steel should be used for batching and drained afterwards.

As a plus - Mild steel conducts heat better than stainless does.

b116757
03-07-2013, 11:05 PM
I buy all my stainless from Action Stainless out of Kansas City 304 20 ga in 2b finish $128 a 4'x10' sheet $149 for it in number 4 polished finish best prices I can find

Bernie/MA
03-08-2013, 02:04 PM
www.yarde.com sells ss pieces. Go to drop zone.