PDA

View Full Version : Thought I'd punctured a rodent in the tree

Run Forest Run!
03-06-2013, 07:16 PM
I totally freaked myself out today. While installing a spile into a previously untapped box elder, I put in the drill bit and when I pulled it out, all of the wood was bright red. I mean BRIGHT red. I thought I'd gutted something in the tree.

For all of you newbie tappers out there, I've learned something today courtesy of Google. Often box elder trees have red stained wood along with regular coloured wood. One note of caution is that it can make you swallow your chewing gum in horror if you don't know that in advance.

Apparently it is a highly prized material for making for some gorgeous wood working projects. I can see why.

TerryEspo
03-06-2013, 07:25 PM
OMG,,That is funny.

You must have jumped back and your eyes were prob WIDE open !! A true Kodak moment.

I will keep that in mind. Mind you I dont know what a box Elder looks like.

Terry

Thompson's Tree Farm
03-07-2013, 04:48 AM
Blocking up a hollow maple one time in the dead of winter, I sawed a hibernating racoon in half. I'm still sick when I think about it.

stoweski
03-07-2013, 05:37 AM
It's definitely a beautiful piece of wood. A bowl turner I know makes some out of box elder. Great looking bowls.. but expensive.

happy thoughts
03-07-2013, 06:20 AM
That's interesting Karen. Do you think the color will extend into the sap? That might be some pretty pretty syrup :)

Run Forest Run!
03-07-2013, 07:23 AM
I'll be very interested to see if the sap takes on any of the red pigment as it passes up through the tree. I'll take some pictures if there is anything unique to report.

As for the racoon story, that's horrific. I'm so glad that I didn't have to experience what you did.

Mogli
03-07-2013, 08:05 AM
I only sawed a mouse open once cutting apart some cherry wood, I was grossed out cause it was alive with its guts hanging out, but not horrified as it was only a mouse. A raccoon though, that would mess me up.

DonMcJr
03-07-2013, 11:44 AM
That's pretty interesting! Too bad no one was filming you tapping!:lol:

Karen let us know how the Box Elders Flow and how the Syrup Looks and Tastes! I never tapped mine this year as I ran out of Taps on Sugars, Silvers and Reds..

maple flats
03-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Back in the 80's when we made some syrup for personal use only, we tapped several Box Alders. The syrup might at times get a faint redish hue but it will not be red, just the slight hint of red.