PDA

View Full Version : Family ties?

Sugar-me-Timbers
03-06-2013, 04:56 PM
I am interested in knowing the longest running family maple syrup operation, or how far back does your family go tied to maple syrup. I am the first in my family (1st year 2011), hoping to establish a long running tradition. Additionally, are any native Americans making syrup, if so, how far back can you track maple syrup in your family (my wife has Choctaw, I have Cherokee in our families, but we have no knowledge of Maple syrup till now).

Phil McKenzie
Sugar-me-Timbers

DonMcJr
03-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Well I'm only in my 2nd year and no-one that I know of in my family made Maple Syrup but I do have a touch of Cheorkee Indian in me...

doop
03-06-2013, 07:26 PM
I am native and my grandpa would tell stories of him as a kid making camp for sugarbush miles from the nearest road. I don't think any of my ancestors haven't made syrup or rice.

Flat47
03-06-2013, 08:28 PM
In southern New Hampshire: Bascoms and Clarks (down the road from Bascoms) are both several generations into sugaring. I learned from Alvin and David Clark. Great people.

team40
03-06-2013, 08:50 PM
I am a 3rd generation sugarer the trees i tap my grandfather tapped as well as my dad. and i hope to get my kids into it
i enjoy doing it with my dad and my girlfriend. and my mom and brother when they can help

PFHII
03-07-2013, 01:45 PM
I am 4th Generation with 2 boys hoping to following my foot steps. My Great-grandfather started back in the early 40's in Fairfax and I am now 20 miles north in Enosburg. We have stuck with tradition we tap 2100+ buckets no pipeline or no RO and We fire with wood...