PDA

View Full Version : 7/16 metal vs 5/16 plastic

Run Forest Run!
03-06-2013, 02:38 PM
I caved and bought some extra spiles yesterday. They were all out of the blue 5/16 health spiles, but considering I've been having trouble with them leaking and falling out it wasn't really bad news for me. What was in stock were the traditional 7/16th metal spiles, which I purchased.

I drilled a test hole in some wood in the shop and because the traditional spiles are MUCH more tapered than the plastic ones they are a really snug fit and very different than seating plastic ones. (The plastic ones have hardly any taper at all.)

My questions are:

* How much of the metal spile should be inside the hole when seated correctly? In my test run, tapping it three or four times only got it to about a depth of 1/2" into the hole. Is that enough?

* If it IS enough, should the depth of the hole still be 1 1/2(ish) inches?

Thanks everyone.

spencer11
03-06-2013, 05:03 PM
Well you should use a 7/16" tapping bit, so it will only go in so far if you use the correct size bit. Tap hole depth should be 1.5"-2" for buckets as I understand it

DonMcJr
03-06-2013, 06:21 PM
I had one metal one fall out this year too so keep an eye on them. 7/16 bit 1 1/2 - 2" hole and seat it til it stops but don't hit it like you're mad!

MapleLady
03-06-2013, 07:14 PM
On all of my taps, 5/16 plastic and 7/16 metal, I have drilled the holes 1 1/2 - 2" deep max. (marked a line on the 5/16 and 7/16 drill bits, so as not to go beyond that). With the metal spiles, I tap them in until I hear a change in the sound when I hit the spile. I think they are in the tree at least an inch or so. I could measure what is protruding from the tree tomorrow and compare with an extra spile and let you know.

~Denise

Run Forest Run!
03-06-2013, 07:22 PM
On all of my taps, 5/16 plastic and 7/16 metal, I have drilled the holes 1 1/2 - 2" deep max. (marked a line on the 5/16 and 7/16 drill bits, so as not to go beyond that). With the metal spiles, I tap them in until I hear a change in the sound when I hit the spile. I think they are in the tree at least an inch or so. I could measure what is protruding from the tree tomorrow and compare with an extra spile and let you know.

~Denise

Thanks for the replies everyone. I did install 5 metal taps today and listened very carefully for the change in sound when tapping them in. I also looked at some online photos of similar spiles and did my best to copy what they'd done. I think the biggest problem was that I was using a scrap of aged spruce 2x4 in the shop and it was much harder than the wood in the living trees outside. When I drilled outside and tapped in the spiles they seemed to go in much easier than my test tap. I think I got them in around .75 - 1" deep. Hopefully that's good.