PDA

View Full Version : When to Quit Collecting?

Evets
03-06-2013, 02:25 PM
Just wondering, as a total newb, when to quit collecting sap here in south central Pa. I've noticed in the last couple days that the buds are beginning to swell. As of 3 days ago I was still getting nice clear sap. Since then it hasn't really been below freezing at night and the sap has all but stopped flowing. What little I have now has a yellowish tint and a stronger than normal smell. I think I may be done for the season. Thoughts?

maine guide
03-06-2013, 02:57 PM
I kept sap almost a week last year and it was pretty warm. The syrup made from that was fine. I couldn't tell the difference. But I'm just a little guy 40 taps and boiling on a 55 gallon drum.

happy thoughts
03-06-2013, 03:15 PM
It seems a little early. What type of maples are you tapping and is it the maples you see budding? Red maples often break bud earlier than others but it just seems early to me even though I'm much further north of you and our weather is a little different. You're probably 2 weeks ahead of us or more. I'm still waiting for sap to start flowing well. It's just coming in dribs and drabs so far up here. Someone closer to you should be able to tell you better but I wouldn't pull your taps yet. You can expect darker stronger flavored sap toward the end of the season. When the sap starts smelling like old socks when you boil it, you'll know the season is really over.

Evets
03-06-2013, 03:24 PM
Thanks a lot. I appreciate your opinion. I only have two good sized Silver maples with two taps in each and these are the trees that i mentioned with the buds swelling. I'll leave the taps in awhile and see how it goes. I'm really happy with my results so far, about nine pints of syrup from maybe fifty gallons of sap. Mostly, I just wanted to see if I could produce a decent syrup. I have had some friends offer up their trees for tapping next year already! I'll have to put together a bigger evaporator i guess.:cool:

Dennis H.
03-06-2013, 03:40 PM
I would continue until the sap is really cloudy and when you are boiling it is foaming everywhere or you run out of fuel to make syrup.
That cloudy sap will make some nice Dark Tasty syrup, that there is good stuff.

happy thoughts
03-06-2013, 03:53 PM
I have had some friends offer up their trees for tapping next year already! I'll have to put together a bigger evaporator i guess.:cool:

and so the addiction starts.....:)

Have you seen the John Stewart video that's been posted a couple of times here? If not, the link is here...

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-february-28-2013/the-canadian-maple-syrup-syndicate

Welcome to a most addictive hobby :) Once you start, it's always about next year :)

Evets
03-06-2013, 05:08 PM
and so the addiction starts.....:)

Have you seen the John Stewart video that's been posted a couple of times here? If not, the link is here...

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-february-28-2013/the-canadian-maple-syrup-syndicate

Welcome to a most addictive hobby :) Once you start, it's always about next year :)

I know, right? Just what I need......another hobby. Thanks for the link. I'll check that out.

Evets
03-06-2013, 05:09 PM
I would continue until the sap is really cloudy and when you are boiling it is foaming everywhere or you run out of fuel to make syrup.
That cloudy sap will make some nice Dark Tasty syrup, that there is good stuff.

Sounds good! Thanks for the tip!

spencer11
03-06-2013, 05:25 PM
If your big enough to sell bulk keep making syrup as long as you can in the year, all syrup is worth something, even if its the grossest stuff youve seen, they can still cook with it

harrison6jd
03-06-2013, 05:52 PM
the silvers are always the first to break bud. other maples should be ok for a few weeks after the silvers swell. at least thats the way its been in the past here in rhode island. maybe pull the silvers but continue collecting the others.
Thanks a lot. I appreciate your opinion. I only have two good sized Silver maples with two taps in each and these are the trees that i mentioned with the buds swelling. I'll leave the taps in awhile and see how it goes. I'm really happy with my results so far, about nine pints of syrup from maybe fifty gallons of sap. Mostly, I just wanted to see if I could produce a decent syrup. I have had some friends offer up their trees for tapping next year already! I'll have to put together a bigger evaporator i guess.:cool:

325abn
03-06-2013, 06:52 PM
Once they bud you are done. You will know when you have buddy sap!

SevenCreeksSap
03-06-2013, 09:16 PM
Make sure its the leaf buds your looking at and not the reddish flower parts. those are heavy now on my tree. I have one silver tapped in the yard and its really slowed down too. maybe if you get a good freeze you'll get another run.

Evets
03-09-2013, 04:21 PM
Well, after almost 4 days of no activity, my taps are flowing again, but not that fast. Funny thing though. I have 2 taps in 1 tree, and the sap from one side is nice and clear while the other side is kind of yellow-ish. Huh!