PDA

View Full Version : Head Tank feed line freezing up. Help!

sutphenj
03-06-2013, 07:39 AM
I'm stuck outside boiling this year under an overhang and I keep getting frozen slush stuck in the feed line to the float box on the flue pan. When I fill the head tank prior to firing up it's ice and slush free but as the night progresses and it gets colder outside slush develops in the tanks and restricts the flow in the valve and feed line so much I have to shut down.

Anyone thoughts on preventing this? What do you guys do to keep ice and slush out of your feed lines?

umpwood1
03-06-2013, 08:04 AM
I drain my head tank at night, like you do. I have 3/4" feed line and don't have much problem. If the tank is getting low and slush is clogging your inlet..dump some hot sap in the tank. I have done it and it works for me.
Woody

Scribner's Mountain Maple
03-06-2013, 08:07 AM
Try a Heat lamp over your tank, or heat tape on line. I also like the hot sap idea.

philkasza
03-06-2013, 08:16 AM
Get some plastic for your walls to hold some heat in.

Daves Maple Farm
03-06-2013, 08:29 AM
Go to TS or Trader Horn..they have foam insulation material that will fit over the feed line. Its about 3/8th inch sidewall and is used on water pipes, or do like I did and get a kerosene heater and set it under feedline (safe distance) and heat from it should help if your feedline isnt real long. Also a 175 watt heat lamp will work if you can get the heat where you need it.

sg5054
03-07-2013, 07:34 PM
i set mine up with a heat tape, foam pipe insulation, and the wrapped it with fiberglass pipe insulation. The 3/4" line is about 2 ft long that changes to a 3/8 line. That connects to a 12v pressure pump. That line then runs to a float tank with a ball float valve. That then drains down through 3/8 copper line wrapped around a section of single wall stove pipe and then drips into the pan.