PDA

View Full Version : When is a good time to put taps in wisconsin?

Cole Handschke
03-05-2013, 09:19 PM
in the forecast its supposed to be upper 30's saturday and sunday and into next week a little.. put them in this week or will the holes dry up then? also is it a good idea, i use PVC holders and im using droplines this year is it a good idea to drill a hole in the PVC for the dropline or can i just stick it in the top? that wouldnt affect anything would it?

2013: 500-600

doop
03-05-2013, 10:09 PM
I did the.same thing last year no problems. Probably easier to empty too. Just try to keep drop out of the sap

GramaCindy
03-06-2013, 05:32 AM
Cole, Welcome to the Maple Trader. You will learn so much from all of the helpful people on here. I live in NW WI, north of Hayward about 20 miles. I am looking at tapping on Thurs. as we have school off due to our Basketball team heading to the state competition. The weather looks somewhat favorable for the next 10 day forecast. Tap holes generally will not close off with the weather still being a bit cold. I guess 6 weeks is the general number. I can't help with the question of PVC or droplines.

maple connection
03-06-2013, 05:38 AM
Hey, Cole
I think just putting the dop in the top of the pvc holder would work the best. It will make it muck easier to gather than trying to put the dropline back into a hole on the side of the holder. Like doop said, try and keep it above the sap level.

Ahnohta2
03-16-2013, 01:24 PM
Cole

One would assume in Athens, it is now time to put taps in. Up in Ashland area, we have ourselves have not tapped yet. We usually wait unitl 3/20 but adjust some for weahtrer and forecasts. At pesent our forecast this am for next 7 days is now temp higher then 30` so I feel for our area we are right on track and will wait to drill till end of next week. Some people have tapped up here two weeks ago and some are tapping this weekend. We are holding off a bit more.
On PVC w/ drop lines, not sure exactly what you are doing. We have made and are using PVC "Bag" holders.

Enjoy

D+B
Ahnohta Sugar Camp Moquah, Wi (Ashland)