PDA

View Full Version : Roof Vent Question...

DonMcJr
03-05-2013, 08:42 PM
The building I am using for my Sugar Shack has open trusses and no ridge vent or other roof vents.

The steam builds up alot until the building warms up then I get alot of moisture.

Would I benefit much but cutting in one of those standard sguar roof vents right above the evaporator?

How about one of them Turbine Roof Vents?

spencer11
03-05-2013, 08:46 PM
A cupola would benefit you for sure, might not to be worth it if your building a real sugar house next year, but it does help get the steam out

DonMcJr
03-05-2013, 08:54 PM
I'm not gonna put a cupola on this building but a square roof vent or even a turbine roof vent would still be useful after I build the sugar shack I am just wondering if it's worth it to ge the steam out.

Like one of these?

http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE3-6287932dt.jpg

Waynehere
03-05-2013, 09:11 PM
Maybe 3-4 of these would work... When I was using a HP in a shed, open windows and doors was the only way to vent the steam. :( Still had lots of dripping on your head..... Had to wear a hoody most of the time. Steam is hard to get rid of.

Makes you look forward to your new sugar shack next year??? :)

DonMcJr
03-05-2013, 09:16 PM
Ok so if it's not gonna help much then I'll just not do it...Don't really wanna roof climb tomorrow anyway.

It's just if you watch this video from last Saturday's Boil... I thought it would maybe prevent the FOG at 4:00 Minutes...

http://youtu.be/jm7SOuOdYKY

Got It Bad
03-05-2013, 10:54 PM
Don you could put in a gable end vent and a simple house fan blowing out it will take most of the steam out but the bad thing is the house fan will only last one season or so because of all the moisture. I don't know the lay out of your garage but maybe some plastic up in the rafters to help channel the steam might help. I to love the videos keep them coming.

DonMcJr
03-06-2013, 01:01 AM
I'm hoping to build a Sugar Shack this summer so one season is all it will have to last!

MapleLady
03-06-2013, 06:18 AM
Wow. Your video says it all! I never thought that steam would build up so dense in an interior space! It must have been hard to see what you were doing after a couple of hours! If I had an evaporator in my garage, I would keep my garage doors open and hang a large box fan at the top of the doors to suck the steam out. Hope you find a quick, inexpensive solution for this season. Sounds like an 'official' sugar house is in your future!

Scribner's Mountain Maple
03-06-2013, 06:31 AM
I like the gable vent option myself. I am a carpenter and it is cheap, opens a nice sized whole and will always serve a purpose in your garage. Since you are building new, I think this is the cheapest solution. You could add a little poly on a square wooden frame above your arch leading to the gable vent and you won't have any more steam in your garage. Problem solved for 50 bucks. If you can't find a gable vent you like, or is big enough, or cheap enough, you could cut the whole and just make it a flap of plywood that can be closed. Almost like a cupola, but on the gable...

DonMcJr
03-06-2013, 09:39 AM
The Steam fog went away after the building heated up. Had to open the door and let it out a few times. I do think I am gonna do the Gable Vent today it should help with my next Boil!

Zamkev
03-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Don. I watched your video and yep - you do have a fog issue:) One thing I did notice was how you loaded your rig. Someone gave me a tip once and so I'll pass it along - not sure how much real difference it makes, but has some logic I suppose. Have your next load of firing wood (3-5 pieces or whatever) ready right at your arch door(not 2-3 steps away). Open the door - chuck it in - close door. The idea is to keep as much heat as possible inside. You'll be amazed how the temp drops as soon as you open the door. Anyway, off topic - but thought I would pass that along.

not_for_sale
03-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Don,

here is what I did after I had my "Sugarhouse" 40x55 Barn all fogged up down to 5 ft. http://saginaw.craigslist.org/grd/3660244628.html

If you look at the last picture - I used a steam table pan (hood), put a 5 inch starter collar in it, and have a 6x4 inch reducer sitting on it. There is no steam in the barn any longer and the water running down the flex pipe drips down on the outside of the pan.

I am selling my Barrel Evaporator and bought a 2x4 because I thought why not put in a few more taps ... I am at 71 now. Gotta find a use for the sap, since even with my Flux capacitor 3-4 GPH is taking too long to boil.

My little one likes Maple Lemonade. Maple concentrate (6-7 % Sugar), some Lime Juice, and carbonated in my Sodastream.

DonMcJr
03-06-2013, 10:28 AM
I saw that too when I watched the Video and thought Doh! Now all my wood is split smaller and I don't have to pick through it for the small pieces so it should be quicker. That's why I like videoing myself I learn from watching my mistakes!

Just FYI that Fog went away after an hour of that once the building heated up...it was just real damp in there after that. The Gable Vent almost right behind the Evaporator should help!

fhedmark
03-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Don,

Another thing I would do, is move your sap storage containers to outside of the garage and away from the evaporator where sap will stay cooler.

DonMcJr
03-06-2013, 11:14 AM
Fhedmark They are fine there. I only have 150 gallons and I won't boil til at least the 2 55 gallons are full and don't stop boining til they are empty. Then don't boil again til the 2 are full...etc. So it's kinda like a preheater that way...

DonMcJr
03-06-2013, 01:47 PM
Ok I now have a Gable vent...

Looking from the steam to the vent...steam follow this path...LOL!

Got It Bad
03-06-2013, 09:33 PM
Don now what I would do is put a box fan right in front of the vent put speed on high sucking steam out. Another idea hang a small 5 inch fan from a wire down from your truss behind the steam pointed up towards the box fan speed could be on low and you probably only need to run the small fan until your garage heats up. good luck

DonMcJr
03-07-2013, 11:39 AM
Thanks for all the tips. The steam was actually going right toward the new Gable vent when I boiled last weekend so I am hoping no fan is needed. But if it doesn't head right out that gable vent then I'll have a fan or 2 ready...

Waynehere
03-07-2013, 02:57 PM
Perfect.... Now to start planning your Shack for next year..... :)

jstaples
03-07-2013, 04:51 PM
It's amazing how it's always about next year. I just built a small shack and stuck a brand new WF Mason 2x4 XL in there and now I already want to expand this and redo that......it's an addiction!!