PDA

View Full Version : Batch Panners....Depth?

eustis22
03-05-2013, 01:14 PM
Currently I'm using a couple of steam table pans to boil (pre Phaneuf 2 X 3 flat pan). One is 6 inches deep, t'other 4...I'm curious at what depth other batch panners keep their sap at while they boil?

Pibster
03-05-2013, 02:21 PM
Most will keep the level between 1" and 2". The shallower it is, the faster it evaporates. Just remember, the shallower it is, the easier it is to burn it dry.

happy thoughts
03-05-2013, 03:08 PM
Currently I'm using a couple of steam table pans to boil (pre Phaneuf 2 X 3 flat pan). One is 6 inches deep, t'other 4...I'm curious at what depth other batch panners keep their sap at while they boil?

This is my second year with steam pans on a block arch so I'm still experimenting. It depends on how far along I am in the process. Both my pans are 6" deep. I don't think I'd use 4" ones as there isn't enough breathing room for a boilover but we all use what we have available. In the beginning I fill them at least half full, maybe 3.5 -4". One pan (the rear one) gets really boiling, the other not nearly as vigorously. I use the hot one as my sweet pan and add to it from the front one. The more the back pan concentrates the lower I let it go so toward the end I'm at around*2 inches or less. I keep the front pan about half full as long as I can. Last year I ran them shallower and ran the fire hotter but I got a lot more sugar burn on the sides which I think lead to darker syrup. This year I'm getting in the neighborhood of 2gph boil rate, last year a little better. So far so good this year colorwise though I've only done 3 boils. Things are still running pretty slow here.

eustis22
03-05-2013, 03:09 PM
yes, I'm concerned about scorching so I've been keeping my depths at 2-4 inches, depending on how much sap I have

happy, that sounds exactly like my set up....front pan is a medium boil, middle is much heavier, also with the sugar burn so "light amber" is something traffic lights turn to me.

jputney
03-05-2013, 05:32 PM
Running the sap deeper in the pans will cause darker syrup. I have been cooking on batch pans for 5 years 2 1/2 x5 flue pan and 3x5 flat pan. I get scorching on the sides and still make light amber syrup depending on the sap. The faster you can cook it the lighter the syrup will be. The shallower you keep the sap in the pan the faster it will cook. I try to keep mine right around an inch. If you do this you must keep an eye on it all the time. There is no room for error. In 5 years I have never burned any syrup. After each batch I clean my pans to get rid of all the sugar burn on the side.

aws
03-05-2013, 05:46 PM
I run our pan at about 2-3 inches. I often boil while doing other things and will walk away from the evaporator for 20 minutes at a time. We trickle feed sap into the pan from the holding tank and have a sight glass with depth gauge inside. This allows us to boil without standing constant watch. I'm sure I get better evaporation rates on the days I stand by the stove all day, but it is nice to be able to condense some sap while still getting other things done. Some nights we will even fill the pan really deep, about 8", get a roaring fire going and go to bed. Works for us.

Troutman10
03-05-2013, 06:08 PM
That's probably why my first boil ended up being the darkest I've ever had in my short history of doing syrup. I ran my steam pans a little deeper than before and had more burning on the sides than any other time. Is there anything you can put on the sides of the pan so there is less burn line on the sides of the pan? I'm looking to make my syrup a little lighter...especially earlier in the season.

Maplehobbyist
03-05-2013, 08:17 PM
If your pans sit so the fire hits on the bottom and the sides, I was advised to run deeper, to take advantage of the heat on the side of the pans. I use 4" deep pans and run about 3". In my experience, the scorching comes from sugar that's left on the side of the pans above the sap level, so I try to not let it drop by very much before adding more. Also, skimming off the foam regularly seems to keep the sides from burning as much. I also clean the pans after each boil and usually have very little burnt stuff to remove.

lisound
03-05-2013, 10:33 PM
as stated above. run the pans FULL. I use 3 6" deep pans set in a block arch. i boil more if the pans are full. about 7-8 gph if i get all 3 boiling. I usually just add sap to one pan. my front. which doesn't get as hot. I ladle from the front to the back 2 pans. Keeping levels always at the same height. Usually 3-5 ladle fulls in each pan every 5 min. skimming foam is also key. also, don't add a lot of cold sap to a raging boil. I think that darkens syrup as well.
I have boiled 2x so far this year and both are light amber grade A. Once I'm out of sap, i flood the front pan with water. now i try to keep the pans even and start to concentrate to the middle pan. I will loose about 1/4 cup of sweet because i can't get it all with the ladle. Once i have it all in the middle pan, i quickly flood the back pan with water. now i bring the middle pan all the way down to syrup, let the fire die when I'm getting close and pull it off. flood that pan full of water, and scrub. when cool. pans come clean with a little work.

eustis22
03-06-2013, 06:05 AM
"If your pans sit so the fire hits on the bottom and the sides,"

yes, my pans sit inside the firebox, so I will stick with this depth until the new flat pan arrives....time for a cleaning though before sunday's boil