PDA

View Full Version : how many dividers?

chicken123
03-05-2013, 10:38 AM
How many dividers should a 24'' x 40'' flat pan have? How high should the sides be? I will be doing batch boils.

Thanks

Big_Eddy
03-05-2013, 11:14 AM
If you're batching, no dividers are needed. A batch will be 60-80 gallons of sap and 1.5-3 gallons of syrup. Run 1" deep, adding sap as it evaporates until it's all in, then lower the heat and reduce down to 3/8" then pour it off. you'll be out there for 10-12 hours for a batch.

For a flat pan 8" sides are fine.

Or (assuming indoors ) - you can add one solid divider cross wise at 12" in, and create a second section in the pan, ladeling from back to front. Now you can take off syrup more frequently (smaller amounts) and can leave sweet in the back pan for the next time. Works better for someone with fewer trees who has trouble coming up with 80 gals for a batch or who can't dedicate a whole day at once to boiling.

chicken123
03-05-2013, 11:35 AM
Thanks

Why did you say "assuming indoors" I could have one divider?

Big_Eddy
03-05-2013, 11:42 AM
Cause I would'nt want to leave a pan of sweet sitting outdoors overnight or for a few days. Around here at least, the coons would have it gone by morning. I suppose you could pour it off and store it until next time if you wanted.