PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Divider plan ?? Temporary fix !!

TerryEspo
03-04-2013, 09:22 PM
Well, Maybe nuts to think it will work, but will ask.

Did a lot of reading lately about dividers in the pan. I dont want to pay to have "real" dividers Tigged in so I,m thinking off the wall.

A piece of angle iron, wrapped in tinfoil. Sap/syrup will never touch to angle iron. It will just lay inside the pan, its own weight will hold it in place,,,I think.

I hope to boil Thursday or Friday so the clock is ticking.

Also want a new pan so not spending money on the present pan.

Any thoughts if this could work or a better idea? Would love input.

Thanks.

Terry

CampHamp
03-04-2013, 09:38 PM
Boiling is going to have that bumping around a bit and it might cut through the foil or even splinter off pieces into your syrup.

Could you get a piece of stainless, bend it into an angle so you have a "foot" and then apply downward pressure from the top with wires?

TerryEspo
03-04-2013, 10:01 PM
Hi Camphamp:

That is a plan.

I probably will go to steel supplier tomorrow and ask what a few pieces will cost me. If not too much $$$ I may go that route.

Can the pieces be like 1/2 inch short of the width of the pan to allow flow through or full width with a hole at the bottom?

Thanks.

Terry

CampHamp
03-04-2013, 10:49 PM
If I were doing it - I would go all the way across and cut a small notch out of the lower corner. That way you might even be able to have the friction against the walls hold the piece in place a bit.

CampHamp
03-04-2013, 10:52 PM
You might even cut the "foot" of the piece extra long (on both sides) and bend it like a "Z" so it pushes like a spring against the wall...

RileySugarbush
03-04-2013, 11:39 PM
With a hot enough fire and a heavy enough angle there is a chance your could scorch the syrup in the gap between the bottom of the angle and the pan bottom.

TerryEspo
03-05-2013, 06:40 AM
Good point John....

I will see about a friction fit divider, actually 3 pieces.

To humor myself while at the steel store I go to, they weld there also, I will get a price to see what it would cost to tack them in place.

Anything of a divider has to help I think.

Seepage under the just tacked pieces still has to be better than no dividers at all.

Lets see what they say for prices and I will post that info.

Thnaks.

Terry

psparr
03-05-2013, 04:43 PM
I had the idea to solder my dividers in. Didn't work so I shimmed them into place and it works fine.

TerryEspo
03-05-2013, 07:05 PM
Hi Guys,,,and girls.

I went and bought 3 scrap pieces of stainless, each piece approx. 28"-29" X 7", great for my pan as far I as can see.

I did bend one piece to see how it will look and happy with it.

Now, playing around, I see three pieces may be too many. It gives me 4 compartments, I am thinking 3 is fine, but really have no idea what is best.

Not sure if I can explain an idea I see playing with the pieces.

From the stack (rear) I could run two pieces equally spaced lengthwise for 28" until it hit one piece that goes width wise. In front of that would be an area approx. 30" X 19". My draw-off valve is on that area at the front.

The three rear area's would be approx. 6.5" X 28", Maybe hard to picture but looks o.k with me placing pieces and looking at it.

Sap would enter the first channel- travel 28", then into the second channel-travel another 28", then into third channel after another 28" finally gets into the 19" X 30" draw-off area.

Or am I over thinking this and just do 3-4 side to side sections ????

Thanks Everyone for helping me with this.

Terry