PDA

View Full Version : Spout Removal Tool

Bucksaw
03-04-2013, 04:10 PM
First year tapping trees so I haven't had to take any out yet. Is it worth getting one of these tools? I am using Leader 5/16" seasonal spouts.

Shawn
03-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Never heard of one but would like to see a picture of one. For our bucket spouts I just use the claw on the hammer and there are like two runners as I call them on the top of the spout and I just pull it out. With our gravity feed pipeline I pull the stubby off the tree saver and then use the claw on the back of the hammer to pull the tree saver out that makes a pop sound when it comes out, and we replace the tree savers every year.:D

Bucksaw
03-04-2013, 04:32 PM
https://www.bascommaple.com/item/spral/tools/

This is the one I was looking at, hammer would probably work but just wanted to see if it was something worth getting or not.

Shawn
03-04-2013, 04:48 PM
Never new they had that. Thats where we get all our supplies. I think I am part owner of the company. If you have a local Tin Smith around or a buddy that is a welder they might be able to make it for you cheaper then to buy. :cool:

Asthepotthickens
03-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Use a roofing hammer.

Bruce L
03-04-2013, 05:20 PM
We have two of these,got them from Leader's open house one year.Use to tear apart some of the 7/16" plastic spoils with the claw hammer.These work pretty good for the check valves,but we found before we changed if the 7/16" spoils were driven in any extra the puller would bend after a while,you would have to straighten them out to continue using.If you have a friend with a welder and some scrap metal,get a heavier one made.

unc23win
03-05-2013, 07:04 AM
I made one out of 1" black pipe smashed one end down tight put a little bend into it to give it maybe 20'-30' angle and then I put a notch in the end to fit around the spiles by drilling a hole then cut it out with cutting wheel on grinder. I made mine 24" all I do is put it around the spile straight up and down so the handle is up and just give it a light push back against the tree and the come out easy. No damage to the spile at all.

saekeaton64
03-05-2013, 09:58 AM
I just use a 5/8" open ended wrench, I place the open end over the spout and place the body of the wrench on the tree. A few taps on the boxed end with my palm and the spouts pop out without damage to them or the tree.