PDA

View Full Version : Sap running in Dunn county!!

beefmaster
03-04-2013, 10:06 AM
We have been collecting here in northern dunn county for 5 days now, I know its early but after last year we didn't want to miss any runs. Anyone else in the area collecting yet?

grahamcreek62
03-04-2013, 11:33 AM
Is there a lot of flow or is it still rather slow? Hope we will have time to get out there this week. Don't want to miss it.Glo

beefmaster
03-04-2013, 03:18 PM
Slow, but it is adding up!

mrnoodle
03-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Here is Madison, I've had my taps out for a week. No run's yet. Just some dripping. The weather looks good starting Thurs. Can't wait. What do you filter with?

sweeteffinsyrup
03-04-2013, 04:38 PM
Just tapped down here in Walworth County yesterday. Most had a steady drip, but 34 degrees and cloudy today slowed things down. Hopefully by Thursday we'll be running strong

motowbrowne
03-04-2013, 04:39 PM
Hung a test bucket yesterday at our place East of River Falls. It was only 26 degrees, but the tree was in the sun. Didn't look wet when I tapped, but this morning, there was evidence of a couple of drips. Planning on tapping on Wednesday if the forecast for upper thirties doesn't change. the trees are starting to melt the snow away from the trunks, which seems to be a good sign that we're getting close. good luck everyone.

lenp
03-04-2013, 07:10 PM
We put in a little over 300 taps over the weekend, just a few drips. Now with the weather cooling I'm sure we won't see any run until late in the week at least.
We're fifty miles south of superior

Jeff E
03-05-2013, 10:23 AM
We've been tapping for a while, getting ready. I am 95% tapped. Over the weekend, about 1 in 10 trees were wet, not running as it was below freezing, but the trees were soaking up the sun. So I had my first taste of 2013 sap!
Plan on having woods done and pumps and tanks ready by Thursday am. Looks like go time.

beefmaster
03-06-2013, 05:10 PM
So more snow!! Plowed from the yard out to the woods today. Checked all the tubing and put the pails back on the tree's. This afternoon around 2 there was around a gallon in the collection barrel, and old faithful (oldest and largest tree on the farm) has over a gallon in its pail alone. Hope everyone else is getting through the snow. The forcast is starting to look better!!

GramaCindy
03-06-2013, 05:51 PM
Hello lenp…I am in Barnes….How is your sap running?

beefmaster
03-10-2013, 10:27 PM
My how things change. Nothing happening here the last few days. Hope the weather gets better soon, more snow tonight. We boiled down everything we had collected and made maple shakes for desert 2 nights after dinner!! YUMMY!!

grahamcreek62
03-22-2013, 10:37 PM
:cool:Maybe I should say a drip, drip, but it has started. I brought in only 40 gallons of sap and the syrup that came from that is the most beautiful golden color. It has a very mild flavor, but I can't wait for it to really get going. We had to plow a road all the way to the woods because of the big storm last week. There was no way we could have gotton back there if we had not done that. Looking forward to tomorrow. So much fun...Glo

grahamcreek62
03-22-2013, 10:39 PM
My grand children like to have it on ice cream. They are coming tomorrow to help me. They are twin boys that are 7 years old.

beefmaster
03-22-2013, 11:22 PM
Starting to get sap again! Hopefully it continues now. We made 3 quarts last week-end so no sap would be in storage over a week. Made some mods to the boiler and now waiting to see how it will work on the next batch. Hope the weather channel is right!!