PDA

View Full Version : Running Tubing,,Time Saver for me !!!

TerryEspo
03-03-2013, 08:04 PM
Well, it took me till the second 500 ft roll to figure this one out,,,good grief.

I was runnig my lines around trees, getting it kinda tight, pulling as I was adding tees and drops, dipping ends into thermos of hot water,,,yadda tadda. I felt like I needed 4 hands or those expensive tubing tools.

Then I had my brain wave. Works great for me.

I now run my line (5/16), start at the first tree, tie it around the tree (temporary) and run the new line around all trees and see where it will end, find the end, tie that end at last tree. I now take a "sharpie", mark the line where it hits the trees, then untie one end. I am now dealing with a slack line laying on the ground, all marks mean a tee goes there for my drops to connect. Add all tees and pull it tight again and join the ends permanently.

I actually put my tees about 6" ahead (downflow) of the sharpie marking.

Makes for me running lines way easier and not frustrating.

I hope that can help someone.

Terry

PerryW
03-03-2013, 09:34 PM
Sounds like a great idea! I'm also too cheap to buy a tubing tool.

One trick I use is ..... I always carry two rolls of survey flagging with me when walking the lines; one blue and one flourescent pink. I use the blue flagging to snug up lateral lines (by side-pulling the lines to convenient saplings) and I use the pink flagging to mark problems that need to be fixed.

maplehillbros7179
03-04-2013, 03:43 PM
thats a great idea,will be using that next year

jrgagne99
03-04-2013, 03:48 PM
I find that with a good helper (DW) and an instant-light blow torch, cutting in drops without a tubing tool isn't that difficult.

TerryEspo
03-04-2013, 07:57 PM
I thought the blow torch was a no-no with the tubing ? Something about the tubing loseing the flexability or getting rigis,,,or something !!

It must work good though.

Thanks.

Terry

MapleOak
03-05-2013, 07:28 PM
This tool made life easier 7194 plus I don't have to take my tubing down...
I feel the pain of doing exactly what you did... Not only did I fall backwards in deep snow with snowshoes, but my palms had blisters... I did pony up and waste a bit of money on a tubing tool, but it was the best wasted money I ever spent... I would hate to figure out how much my syrup costs per gallon, but I have a great time doing this!!!!

TerryEspo
03-05-2013, 07:52 PM
That is neat. A great addition to the tool box and grab them anytime you add a tap or any repair, love them.

Prob no this year, but yep, I will have to steal that idea.

Thanks.

Terry

DonMcJr
03-05-2013, 07:52 PM
I bought the tubing tool and mostly used my hands... Terry did you buy the Tubing End Y's?

The only ends that have flow is the middle straight through. The other 2 go around the tree to hold it?

http://www.leaderevaporator.com/images/Product/medium/4735-1.jpg

TerryEspo
03-05-2013, 08:21 PM
Hey Don...

Yes, did get a handfull of the ends like in your pic, mine a bit different, but the same idea, two around the tree and the flows goes straight through. Very handy connector, will buy many more for next year, I wanna re-run a lot of my lines, not now though.

Getting tiny amounts of sap today, not even 5 gallons off of about 40 taps into trees. Waiting a bit longer to drill the rest into the trees.

Like other here have said here, sap all frozen in the tubes, some making the tap leak down the tree,,,ggrrr.

Soon, very soon !!

Terry

harrison6jd
03-05-2013, 08:54 PM
i tried to buy some of those fittings at a place in new hampshire and i was told they are discontinued.

deitzd
03-06-2013, 10:51 AM
i tried to buy some of those fittings at a place in new hampshire and i was told they are discontinued.

I recently got some of those fittings from here http://atkinsonmaple.com/catalogue/pipes/5_16

TerryEspo
03-06-2013, 11:25 AM
That "anchor" fitting is exactly what I bought. Wish I had bout more than I did.

They work great and even better if you have one more person to pull the line as you connect the final anchor, lol.

Terry

northwoods_forestry
03-07-2013, 09:18 AM
I used to use those tubing end "y"s but have since replaced them all with hooks and blue end "T"s from IPL. I wouldn't mess with the end "y"s ever again.

TerryEspo
03-07-2013, 02:34 PM
I will need to look into those types of fittings.

Thanks.

Terry

Middleton Maples
03-07-2013, 02:49 PM
I used to use those tubing end "y"s but have since replaced them all with hooks and blue end "T"s from IPL. I wouldn't mess with the end "y"s ever again.

Im with you, I made the switch that way I don't have to cut anything to take my lines down and it keeps things simply just how I like it.

Joust7.1
03-09-2013, 05:35 AM
This tool made life easier 7194 plus I don't have to take my tubing down...
I feel the pain of doing exactly what you did... Not only did I fall backwards in deep snow with snowshoes, but my palms had blisters... I did pony up and waste a bit of money on a tubing tool, but it was the best wasted money I ever spent... I would hate to figure out how much my syrup costs per gallon, but I have a great time doing this!!!!

I love this tool idea. I've been trying to figure out something like this with quick clamps. I was thinking of a rigid connection between the clamps but I like your idea better for my application and the fact that I don't have that many tees to cut in, this makes very good sense to me. Soo simple which makes it all the more appealing.