PDA

View Full Version : Opinion Please

backyardsugarer
03-03-2013, 05:17 PM
I bought a brand new air tech oil cooled L21 in Vernoa at the maple conference. After 20 hours of use it has seized up.

Big runs are coming this week and I have 2 options to run on my 800 tap bush:

1. Run my steady SP-11 which will pull 17-20" as long as I am tight

2. Run this new Dry Vane Rotary gast pump that I just picked up Friday. NIght. It runs good so far and has a lot more CFM. I turned it on in the frozed woods today and the pressure shot up.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/GAST-Vacuum-Pump-7Z782?Pid=search
Here is the link to the side for a new one. Mine has been sitting around for a while but has the same exact spec. (right down to the glass jars)

This would allow me to use my SP - 11 on my bush of 175. The Gast would be big time overkill. and is too loud in the residential area the a big generator cranking.

I guess my question is does anyone have any experience with these Gast Dry vane pumps and are the reliable?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks

Chris

WMF
03-03-2013, 06:05 PM
That Gast is only rated at 1.5 cfm @ 25" I would think 800 taps would be a stretch even if ultra tight. Liquid rings are the way to go for reliability at high vacuum. Are you running this on a generator or do you have power there?

backyardsugarer
03-04-2013, 06:30 AM
Liquid ring is not realistic in the location I am at. I am stuck with a generator for power. I am happy pulling 20 inches. Can the gast do that without burning up?

mapleack
03-04-2013, 02:37 PM
You might be able to build a sound wall around your generator out of haybales to keep the neighbors from getting p'od.