PDA

View Full Version : arch insulation

chicken123
03-03-2013, 01:23 PM
I'm going to be making a 2x4 arch. I'm not sure about insulation. If I use ceramic blanket I still need to use firebricks in the firebox right?? Also, how thick should he ceramic blanket be? And does it have to be firebrick?? will patio bricks crack?

huntingken111
03-03-2013, 01:45 PM
I used 2 inch thick ceramic blanket but thats cause I got a heck of a deal. Other people have used 1/2 inch and was happy. Fire brick will hold the heat and help not destoying insulation but patio stones will break up and turn to powder. Some people use sand. Hope it helps I,m sure other people will chime in.

sams64
03-03-2013, 05:21 PM
I used 1" 10lb ceramic blanket and patio bricks, because I already owned them. After 1 boil it seems fine. In do not expect the bricks to last forever. Nw hen my supply is regular bricks runs out I will buy fire bricks.

Sam

chicken123
03-03-2013, 06:50 PM
thanks. Does all of the ceramic blanket have to be covered by firebrick or only in the firebox?

Schiefe4
03-03-2013, 07:21 PM
Use the 1" block insulation board and cover with split brick fire brick. It is a lot easier to work with.

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-03-2013, 07:21 PM
only where you throw the wood.

chicken123
03-03-2013, 08:31 PM
Would cement board work? I don't know where to get insulation board. Also, can I just use firebricks (no ceramic blanket) in the firebox? or will that waste a lot of heat?

dadtkm
03-03-2013, 08:43 PM
I bought 1" 1800 degree super wool to use in my evaporator . The salesman I spoke with said ceramic fiber was a carcinogenic ( causes cancer ) , said if I was using this in a food application I may not want to use it . Something to think about .

Kyle Baker
08-20-2013, 02:22 PM
curious where people get the ceramic fire blanket? I used to work in a foundry and we used the stuff in our melters. It was called fibrefrax, but I don't know where to buy the stuff. I live in Canada too... in case anybody more local has any ideas.
I'm going to be insulating a new oil tank arch I'm building. I'll brick the firebox but figure the ceramic blanket will be good up the ramp.

Thanks!

markr
08-20-2013, 07:46 PM
Hey Kyle, I have dealt with a salesman from CDL l. He lives in Toledo if you email me I could pass his phone number on to you, he could probably get you some fire blanket. Here is my email markr23mill@gmail.com

Flat Lander Sugaring
08-20-2013, 08:04 PM
I used blanket last year in my arch, now that I have read others who used arch board I wish I would have used that instead. With two inches in some and three in others I can still feel a lot of heat on sides . Can't touch them after a couple hours. Its a lot better than just bricks think I would use arch board next time but it is more expensive

Kyle Baker
08-21-2013, 11:10 AM
Hey Kyle, I have dealt with a salesman from CDL l. He lives in Toledo if you email me I could pass his phone number on to you, he could probably get you some fire blanket. Here is my email markr23mill@gmail.com
Hey markr, I know the man you're talking about. Havent dealt with him but a friend of mine has. Harold Walker is his name. I just live near Toledo, so fairly close.
Thanks! I'll talk to him.

Scribner's Mountain Maple
08-21-2013, 03:15 PM
Flatlander, you used a thick blanket, did you use Brick over that? or just the blanket on the sides of firebox?

I am about to move in a new (to me) 6*16 and will be rebricking and insulating. I was planning to use 1" blanket over everything then brick over the top of it.

Would it be better to use the 1" board insulation and brick over that? I could imagine the blanket gets compressed by the brick, making it useless.

Flat Lander Sugaring
08-21-2013, 08:03 PM
Flatlander, you used a thick blanket, did you use Brick over that? or just the blanket on the sides of firebox?

I am about to move in a new (to me) 6*16 and will be rebricking and insulating. I was planning to use 1" blanket over everything then brick over the top of it.

Would it be better to use the 1" board insulation and brick over that? I could imagine the blanket gets compressed by the brick, making it useless.

I bought 2600deg blanket and 2300deg 1" thick 2' wide and 25' long. I would have used all 2300 deg wasnt thinking, theres no way my arch will ever get to 2600. 78 dollars a roll compared to 56 dollars a roll.
Rustybucket and some one where talking about using board and they cant feel no heat on the outside of their arch's. Like I said its more expensive but worth it. The only bricks I used is where I load wood and under the flue pan so I can use my brush on the flues. When I put the brick in I made sure I didnt crush the blanket so I wouldnt loose any R value

wiam
01-11-2014, 08:24 PM
Flat, where did you get blanket

jmayerl
01-11-2014, 08:30 PM
I got a full roll from mcgills warehouse last year and it was $38, and $40 for the shipping

Deano686
01-11-2014, 11:47 PM
I will be ordering arch insulation this week. Am very interested in the board. How is it cut? Is it recomended to cover it with 1/2 brick?

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-12-2014, 05:00 AM
cut the blanket insulation with a knife. Where gloves and a dust mask.

Bonlander15
01-13-2014, 09:40 AM
I used the 1" by 10 x 36 1900 degree fire board and then fire brick over the top. The board is cut very easy. I marked it and cut with a jig saw with ease. Just wear a mask. Gets a little dusty. The fire brick was cut with a skill saw with a diamond blade. again cut with ease. then sealed all joints with high temp concrete.

68bird
01-13-2014, 11:25 AM
I got my ceramic blanket from McMaster Carr!

Deano686
01-13-2014, 05:14 PM
Thanks Bonlander. I'll order my boards tomorrow. Gotta put the finishings touches on the new arch, and get it ready to go!!

bmbmkr
01-17-2014, 09:38 AM
Where do you order insulation board? What size does it come in? I just got a roll of ceramic, and it's not bad to work with, like they said below, use a dust mask and gloves. I cut mine with scissors.