PDA

View Full Version : hydrometer ?

sweetmoomoo
03-03-2013, 10:32 AM
i just got a syrup hydrometer and used it for the first time , all other times i took the syrup off and bottled at 219 thinking it was syrup and knowing that my water boiled at 212f . thismorning my warter boiled at 211 so i tested the syrup at 219 and it still wasent syrup on the hydrometer. when i use the hydrometer i have to go to 222f. before the hydrometer says it syrup at 66% and the syrup is the thikest i have made yet. does this sound rite. 10 degrees above boiling. also i boiled down 35 gallons of sap and only got 4 pt. of syrup, could my sugar maples have that low of a sugar content.

JSEDLAK
03-03-2013, 10:51 AM
Does your hydrometer have a hot and cold test line, mine shows that syrup at 211 degrees it will only be at 59 brix, at 70 degrees it will be 66 brix. Remembey your hydrometer won't lie to you.

spencer11
03-03-2013, 10:57 AM
The temp syrup boils and is done at is different every day cause the barometric pressure changes, while density doesn't. A hydrometer shows you the density. On the hydro it should have a hot test and cold test line. The hot test on mine says to do it at 211* I just get it close to that temp and take a reading and if its a little heavy I filter and bottle it. Easier to be a little heavy instead of to light

lafite
03-03-2013, 11:41 AM
I always warm the cylinder first. pour hot syrup in and dump it then refill and test

Ausable
03-03-2013, 04:43 PM
So Far - You have gotten some excellent advice. I learned the hard way and used just a thermometer, large shiny bubbles and laddering on a spoon and these old tests will let you know your are getting there - and have ballpark syrup. But - to get good maple syrup - Trust Your Syrup Hydrometer and keep it clean. There is also a hydrometer with a different scale for checking sugar in solution. Kinda like a wine maker would use - but for testing sap sugar content. The old 40 gallons of sap equals 1 gallon of maple syrup applies if your sap is 2 1/2%. Things like rain water - melting snow and low sugar content in the sap could contribute. Hey - Have Fun making Maple. ------Mike----

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
03-03-2013, 06:20 PM
do your test at 211 degrees any other temperature and you have to adjust hydro reading

Starting Small
03-03-2013, 06:46 PM
do your test at 211 degrees any other temperature and you have to adjust hydro reading

I always wondered this, how can you test at 211 degrees if the syrup is boiling at 219? Thanks,
-Dave

wnybassman
03-03-2013, 06:55 PM
I always wondered this, how can you test at 211 degrees if the syrup is boiling at 219? Thanks,
-Dave

I believe they figured in the average temp drop from the time the syrup leaves the pan to the time the hydrometer is placed in the cup.

spencer11
03-03-2013, 07:15 PM
This is why they made the accu-cup, although it is around a $100 for one, I just draw off slightly heavy and it would change so little with that small temp drop , if its a little heavy, or right on, it should be fine

5050racing
03-03-2013, 07:20 PM
This is the cup I made and I hang it in the pan but not in the syrup then add syrup to test it7150

sweetmoomoo
03-03-2013, 08:22 PM
thanks for everyones advice, this is a great place to learn. if my hydrometer says its syrup then it is syrup, it just gets confusing when i heard that syrup is 7.5 degrees above water boiling at that time and my syrup went to 222f before the hydro said it was done. thanks again

vermontpure
03-03-2013, 09:35 PM
I had a similar problem. I had water boil @ 211deg so i boiled syrup to 218 and my hydrometer said it was a bit heavy. This is my first time using a hydrometer so i guess practice makes perfect...or close to it.

valleyman
03-04-2013, 09:39 AM
I use the hydrometer period.

The mercury always seems to separate from itself rendering it useless on traditional candy thermometer on the cheapos I by at Target.

But the wisemen of the Mapletraders clan have told us that the hydrometer is accurate so long as the paper scale inside of it hasn't moved and that we're reading the hot test at 211. Buy a spare.

Bucksaw
03-04-2013, 10:03 AM
Will a cheap hydrometer, like the ones made by "Tap My Trees" that they sell at Tractor Supply work well enough? Boiled for the first time this past Sunday and I have a candy thermometer but would rather use a hydrometer.

spencer11
03-04-2013, 10:21 AM
Will a cheap hydrometer, like the ones made by "Tap My Trees" that they sell at Tractor Supply work well enough? Boiled for the first time this past Sunday and I have a candy thermometer but would rather use a hydrometer.as long as its a syrup hydrometer it will work. Buy 2 or 3, they break easy