PDA

View Full Version : Olive oil for defoamer

striker3636
03-03-2013, 08:05 AM
Yesterday i tried a couple drops of olive oil for defoamer. I would have maybe used 5 or 6 drops for a batch that produced about 1.5 gallons. When finishing, i noticed the syrup seemed to have a very light film or "skin" on the top. Is this caused by the olive oil, or do i have something else weird going on?

maple flats
03-03-2013, 05:01 PM
It's the oil. You now have Italian maple syrup.

SevenCreeksSap
03-03-2013, 06:18 PM
I used a little dab of butter- real butter, not margarine. never thought of olive oil. I was wondering does using something like this adulterate the syrup so its no longer "Pure"

wiam
03-03-2013, 06:49 PM
I used a little dab of butter- real butter, not margarine. never thought of olive oil. I was wondering does using something like this adulterate the syrup so its no longer "Pure"
When making syrup for sale dairy is not a good idea as some people have allergies and would have no way of knowing it dairy was in the product.

PapaSmiff
03-04-2013, 02:44 PM
I use canola oil, but do not put it directly into the syrup. I put some on a piece of paper towel and run it along the side of the pan - a few inches above the boil. It works great and I can't taste any difference in the syrup. The pot still foams, but it doesn't go above the line of canola oil.

CBOYER
03-04-2013, 04:49 PM
never use any oil or fat that could give allergies. best oils are Canola, carthame (safflawer oil) or sunflower oil because they are flavorless and colorless. Olive oil have too more taste.

Russell Lampron
03-04-2013, 06:26 PM
To make sure that you don't have any problems with off flavors, possible allergic reactions and oily film use a commercial defoamer. The Atmos defoamer or the powdered defoamer that are available through maple suppliers aren't too expensive and are safe.

lisound
03-04-2013, 07:08 PM
i use the 300k defoamer. for small time operations, I can't imagine using the entire bottle in my lifetime. but I only produce maybe 5 gal of syrup.

I even cut it in half with some sap. when cold, it's wax. so i'm not sure what is even it?