PDA

View Full Version : Freezing syrup

Mark
03-02-2013, 07:52 PM
If syrup were to freeze in a household freezer how low of a brix would it have to be? I know at the proper density syrup would not freeze but how would you calculate the freezing temp for lets say 65 brix?

happy thoughts
03-03-2013, 09:25 AM
That's going to depend on your freezer temp. Even at proper density syrup should freeze if the temp is cold enough.

Calculating freezing temp of sugar in solution is a little complicated. I'll leave that to the chemists here. You need to work with molecular weights and plug it into a formula.

maple flats
03-03-2013, 04:58 PM
I don't think you have a freezer that will freeze syrup at proper density. It would need to be well below the ability of household freezers

wiam
03-03-2013, 06:56 PM
I don't think you have a freezer that will freeze syrup at proper density. It would need to be well below the ability of household freezers
I agree with Dave on this. My freezers are set below 0 and I can spoon syrup out of a container. It will almost pour. I would think it would have to be very "light" to freeze solid

RyanB
03-06-2013, 09:52 PM
I freeze all my personal syrup in one liter containers. I actually boil my personal syrup a little further than normal (my family likes the thicker syrup) and if I don't freeze it, it will be crystalized in a month or so. When I freeze it in my deep freeze the jugs feel like they are frozen solid and there is no possible way to pour it out. It thaws out really quick though (within 1/2 hour at room temperature). Once thawed...its usually only in the fridge for a day or two before its all ate up!

Ryan

maple2
03-07-2013, 07:01 AM
why freeze syrup? i have a quart i made 49 yrs ago in my cellar. still looks like the day i made it. packed in glass and kept where its cool and dark