PDA

View Full Version : How long before first draw

boondocker
03-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Just wondering how long it takes on avarage before you make your first draw on fresh filled pans? I know there is alot of variables but was just wondering. thanks

sugarman3
03-02-2013, 06:42 PM
You should on a 2x8 get syrup around 2-2 1/2 hrs
:)

sugarwoodacres
03-02-2013, 07:02 PM
I have a 2 by 5 and evap almost 20 gallons per hour and I dont get a draw off for about 2 - 2.5 hrs too.

boondocker
03-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Well i must have somthing wrong......been going since just after 3:00 and still havent had a draw off. I have been through @ 125 gal. of sap and now i pushing it with water and have burned through @ 75 gal. of water. I cant keep a ragging boil in my syrup pan. Its cross flow and the second pan seems to do pretty good and the flue pan is only boiling about 1/2 way down the pan. The back of the arch is full of vermiculite to within 8-10 inches from the stack and it ramps down. I have built the fire up against the door and tried moving it back and built the fire right up to the bottom of the pans. I guess im lost here what am i doing wrong or is my sap just plain water lol I dont know whats going on here. I did find out it loves firewood!!!!

Tapped Out
03-03-2013, 07:04 AM
How dry is your firewood? Can't boil on a simmer. I know, I have tried it. Same problem here. Also, check for air leaks around your pans. Good luck.
Well i must have somthing wrong......been going since just after 3:00 and still havent had a draw off. I have been through @ 125 gal. of sap and now i pushing it with water and have burned through @ 75 gal. of water. I cant keep a ragging boil in my syrup pan. Its cross flow and the second pan seems to do pretty good and the flue pan is only boiling about 1/2 way down the pan. The back of the arch is full of vermiculite to within 8-10 inches from the stack and it ramps down. I have built the fire up against the door and tried moving it back and built the fire right up to the bottom of the pans. I guess im lost here what am i doing wrong or is my sap just plain water lol I dont know whats going on here. I did find out it loves firewood!!!!

wnybassman
03-03-2013, 07:29 AM

Chances are if you put 125 gallons of sap through maintaining a low level in the pans and you have not reached a drawoff yet, you simply need to shut down and wait for more sap. To me, chasing with water without reaching draw off yet is just diluting the sap and that could go on forever without reaching syrup. As for the boiling issue, you definitely need to figure that out to make it boil harder, but if it is reducing even at a super slow rate, it really has nothing to do why you don't have syrup yet.

maple flats
03-03-2013, 05:08 PM
Have dry wood, split it wrist size and make it burn as fast as you can. You will reach draw off when the time is right. Several things affect the time. Sap sugar%, and boil rate mostly. If you run out of sap, just let it set until you have more. I get syrup in 45-60 minutes, but I boil 8% concentrate. When I had a 2x6 it varied from about 2.5 to 4 hrs. Just be patient, it will happen.

RC Maple
03-03-2013, 08:46 PM
Yesterday I started boiling with what was in the pans when I finished the last time - so the stuff had some good color to it already. Yesterday seemed to boil differently for some reason. It took forever for the first draw. I had to run to the bank late in the morning and my son was watching it. The thermometer hadn't done mutch all morning but as soon as I got up to the counter I got a text that he had gotten a good draw with more coming. Be patient is good advice. It will happen when it will happen.

PerryW
03-03-2013, 09:20 PM
When the pans are not sweetened, I need to boil about 400-500 gallons of sap before my first take-off, which takes about 5-6 hours. I have never heard of any evaporator that can start with raw, unconcentrated sap that does it much faster.

1hardmaple
03-04-2013, 08:04 AM
So...when I draw off is it syrup at that time or ami I drawing off as close as possible and finishing in a smaller pan I'm sure this is a dumbass question sorry but this is all new to me, thanks for any help.

psparr
03-04-2013, 08:44 AM
So...when I draw off is it syrup at that time or ami I drawing off as close as possible and finishing in a smaller pan I'm sure this is a dumbass question sorry but this is all new to me, thanks for any help.

Either way. Whatever your comfortable with.