PDA

View Full Version : Question's regarding "archboard"

Bucket Head
05-22-2006, 07:42 PM
What is "archboard"? I've seen it mentioned a few time's in the forum's. Who sell's this? How much is it? Does it come in different size's? How thick is it? How is it usually installed and fastened to an evaporator? As you can tell, I am clueless on this stuff. Any info on this would be appreciated. Thank's guy's.

Steve

Pete33Vt
05-23-2006, 03:58 AM
Arch board or as around here (cement board) is just that its a panel board something like dry wall but is made out of cement. Its used behind wood stoves to help control heat. I'm not sure if you can get it in different sizes. We usually use a sheet thats about 1/2" thick. Just cut it and place it behind your fire bricks in your arch. It helps keep the heat inside your rig and not radiating out of your rig on the sides.

mountainvan
05-23-2006, 05:01 AM
archboard for evaporators is compressed fiberglass, I think, that's used between the arch sides, or the deck, and the firebrick. it can be cut with a utility knife to fit tight. attaching it with silicon or high temp cement is problamatic because the fibers peel of the stuff easily. I've just cut to fit tight. Bascom maple sells it, Insulating Arch Board 1”x1’x3’ $7.55, here's the size and the cost. It's rated to 1900 degrees so it should be covered with fire bricks or ceramic wool. Hope this helps.

ibby458
05-23-2006, 05:47 AM
I believe arch board is ceramic blanket with a binder in it to make it stiff. At least it looks that way in the picture I saw.

MASSEY JACK
05-23-2006, 04:30 PM
It makes you itch like ceramic or fiberglass. I thought it might be rock wool. I got mine from Bascoms. I was pleased with how well it worked.