PDA

View Full Version : Thawing out sap?

bluefinn
03-02-2013, 01:16 PM
I tap just a few trees in my yard & freeze sap in my freezer. I have 2 five gallon buckets & 6 one gallon milk jugs frozen. What is the best way to thaw them out for a boil? I need to make room for more. Temps in my area are going to be around 50 next weekend so they say. I would like to boil next Sunday. During the week just in the 30's so they'll never thaw outside. Can I thaw them in the house at room temp as long as there is still some ice in them? I don't have a clue as to how long it would take to thaw 5 gallon buckets. Any input is appreciated. I love this website!

Springfield Acer
03-02-2013, 01:46 PM
If I were in that position, I would put the five gallon containers inside and let the perimeters thaw and then dump the ice block into a clean doubled unscented trash bag and drop it on a hard concrete surface just enough to break it into small enough pieces that will fit into what you boil in. I'm picturing a turkey fryer so the chunks can be large.
For the milk jugs, I'd put them in the bath tub with warm water and empty them out only after all the ice is melted.
Then boil it all down immediately.
Good luck!