PDA

View Full Version : Copper pan?

konwinski
03-02-2013, 07:31 AM
I am not a welder. But I am a very good solderer. I haven't seen any threads having to do with copper pans. I know the copper would be fine but would the solder joints hold up to a hot fire from dry hardwood? Let me know what you think. 1 more thing. Silver solder has a higher melting point maybe that's an option.

Thanks
Ken

backyard sugaring
03-02-2013, 07:46 AM
As long sap is in the pan it will not melt. Make sure you use lead free solder. Some where on this site there are pictures of some homemade pans. The only problem is they are harder to clean. Good luck. Lee

jmayerl
03-02-2013, 09:01 AM
I saw a awesome copper set of pans once. They are by far the best conductor of heat.

Cake O' Maple
03-02-2013, 11:37 AM
If you search "copper pan" (be sure to use the quotes, or you get both copper and pan results), you'll find 2 pages of results. I was going to link a couple for you, but I think you might want to look yourself; some have very long threads.

It sure would be beautiful!!

Peepers
03-05-2013, 10:19 PM
konwinski - you can solder stainless as well. I just fabbed a 2x3 pan using a big 175 Watt soldering iron and lots of liquid flux. I definitely learned a few things the hard way along the way like tacking it with solder before running long beads to prevent warping. I've never soldered sheets of copper before so I don't know how it behaves but stainless sheet sure wants to warp when you heat it up.