PDA

View Full Version : Maple butter

batsofbedlam
05-21-2006, 02:15 PM
I'm looking for a recipe for maple butter using syrup and dairy butter.

maplwrks
05-21-2006, 04:25 PM
I use equal parts of cooked syrup and butter---- Cook the syrup to 235 degrees and let cool, just like you would for maple cream, then stir adding the butter as you go. It should become fluffy like frosting. I whip mine in a Kitchenaid mixer. I prefer to use a good dark amber to get more maple flavor.

Parker
11-04-2006, 05:03 AM
How do you know when to stop mixing and how long does this keep? Thanks, Parker

maplwrks
11-06-2006, 04:20 PM
Parker,
I stir it my kitchenaid mixer for about 20 minutes. You'll want the syrup to turn to a soft sugar to keep it from separating. I freeze it or keep it refridgerated after that.

TapME
03-29-2007, 07:45 AM
Do you melt the butter and add it to the colled syrup?

802maple
03-29-2007, 08:55 AM
Actually my recipe is just like Mikes equal syrup to equal butter except I freeze my butter and add it to the hot syrup right off the stove and mix it in the kitchen aid. It will turn to a Maple Cream like texture in about 10 to 15 minutes. Like Mike says I keep mine in the freezer for it to last longer, but most of the time it doesn't last long around here. It is to good to admire on the shelf

davey
03-29-2007, 10:58 AM
when you guys sell the butter do you put it in the cream tubs? and if you don't mind me asking, what kind of pricing do you put on it?
thanks
Dave

802maple
03-29-2007, 03:01 PM
I actually never sold butter as I was afraid of the shelf life do to the butter, It was made for the family and friends, if something happened to friends and family they could be replaced LOL

sugarin4fun
04-03-2007, 07:38 AM
One of our family favorites is to take a thick slice of homemade wheat bread, toast it put a thin layer of butter and a THICK layer of maple cream. I made my first batch of maple cream Sunday using the kitchen aid mixer. Now I know why they make cream machines, the mixer got pretty hot. It sounds like this recipe would be easier on the mixer with the butter added in? I really don't want to have to buy a new mixer. About how much butter do you use for a quart of syrup? (1 qt syrup makes 2 pounds cream) Being on a low fat low cholesterol diet I would like to keep the butter to a minimum and the maple flavor to a maximum. I May have to try it this weekend as the 2 pounds of cream I made sunday is almost gone, can't keep the kids out of it.
Greg

802maple
04-03-2007, 08:02 AM
The recipe I was given by our elders in town was equal amounts but that was before anyone had heart problems LOL I am sure you can tweak it some to your liking. It is a lot easier on your mixer, but not on your arteries. Try some of the low count margarine's in small batches it might taste fine.

sugarin4fun
04-03-2007, 08:44 AM
LOL, I like the real taste of butter, even though my arteries may not. I think I am going to try a variation of it this weekend, maybe a little less butter. I'm finding out that you really can't go wrong with most maple syrup recipes. If it's under cooked, cook it some more if you over cook it add a little hot water and start over. It usually doesn't matter what I end up with, if it has a good maple flavor in my house it gets eaten. Shelf live is not an issue.
Greg

802maple
04-03-2007, 10:46 AM
Thats the attitude

twigbender
04-05-2007, 10:13 AM
If you're not looking for a maple butter to keep for a long time, but want something to use immediately, here's what we do.

My wife makes a maple gingerbread which is wonderful. She'll mix up a batch when we have friends over for coffee, etc. Then, she'll stir a 1/4 pound (1 stick) of butter until it's soft and put in 1/2 cup of syrup or more to taste. We'll use that on the gingerbread and the whole shootin' match will be gone inside of 30 minutes. No worry how long that'll last, it's never had a chance at longevity! Just don't get your good hand between one of your guests butter knife and the maple butter!

TapME
12-11-2007, 08:47 PM
just got done making my first batch of maple butter and does it taste great!!!!!!. Also made some some maple cream and turned to more like sugar. Will have to keep trying on that one. They will make great gifts for the brother and sisters.

adk1
12-15-2008, 02:25 PM
SO i COULD basically use a hand blender too to do this right?

TapME
12-16-2008, 07:06 AM
I did that with my batch and it worked fine. Takes a little while for it to thicken.

Dennis H.
05-04-2014, 06:02 PM
Tried my hand at making some maple butter using butter.
It turned out good but ended up with a few lumps of thick syrup in the butter.
I boiled the syrup to 235 then I let it cool down to a little above room temp. All the while the butter was sitting out getting soft.
I put the soft butter in the bowl of the mixer and whipped that for a few minutes. I then poured the thick syrup in, well at least tried to pour it in.
It had a skim layer of thicker syrup on top. I sprinkled a little water on top while it was cooling but it did not seem to help. For the most part the syrup blended in nicely but I think that thick skim layer of syrup is what is giving me those little chunks of syrup.
Any idea how to prevent those chunks from forming?
Did I boil the syrup to high of temp?

Another question, do you HAVE to boil the syrup to make the maple butter? Can I just add syrup to the butter and it turn out good? Is there any down side to not boiling the syrup to 235 before adding t to the butter?

Jim Brown
05-05-2014, 06:14 AM
One thing needs to be said here is that dealing with dairy products(butter) changes the weather you can sell it question. Can you sell it -yes if you are inspected by the dept of ag and have a dairy licence just like you were produceing milk on a dairy farm. There are a different set of rules to sell dairy products - butter. That being said we make it for our own use but do not sell it. I do not want to go through the trouble of the different inspection and rules and more stringent reg.

just my to cents

Jim

Dennis H.
05-05-2014, 07:49 AM
I hear you Jim on not wanting to add even more inspections.

I am just curious what I can do differently to keep the syrup from skimming over like it did while cooling.
I think what I did with the syrup was close to what would be done to make maple cream and if I would have tried to use that syrup to make cream I would have had lumps all thru the cream.

Would putting a lid on the pot while cooling help? My thinking is that with the lid on any water that does steam off while cooling will stay in the pot and keep the surface syrup from going thicker.

stoweski
05-05-2014, 12:35 PM
My method isn't that involved...

Heat syrup to, um, hot. Not much. I just throw it in a small pot and heat until it starts to simmer. Add some melted (microwave) unsalted butter - usually at 50/50 but sometimes more syrup than butter... Grade b only. Stir to mix. Pour into container ( I use glass Pyrex with plastic lid) store in fridge.

Made maple butter for turkey day this year. Just took it out yesterday and used some for maple glazed carrots. Still good, yum.