PDA

View Full Version : when does it end?

lisound
03-01-2013, 04:36 PM
I got so excited after my first boil last week, i gave a lot away. Now it looks like temps will be sustained above freezing next week. Just wondering how quickly this season can end?
I want at least a few gallons of syrup.

Shawn
03-01-2013, 04:45 PM
Who knows, mother nature seems to control it. Last year with 250 taps out we only went three weeks because we had no snow, it warmed up and done. This year we have had more cold, snow and still have ten inches pluse in the back woods. Gathered today for the first time and got 125 gallons good sugar content, boil for the first time tomorow. I check the weather each day and night, the long range looks good here for us well into March. We have gone into April before. Its the nature of the beast I guess. We enjoy it while we can long or shot season:D

killingworthmaple
03-01-2013, 05:28 PM
Oh it looks like we have a couple more weeks here in CT maybe more.The next few days look really good.

TerryEspo
03-01-2013, 06:05 PM
Lisound,,,,,I was absent during your "giveaway" When is the next freebie ?

Lol, You will be fine, keep it all from next boil and dont tell anyone !!

Take care.

Terry

lisound
03-01-2013, 08:01 PM
ha. first boil was really light amber....great on ice cream.

I couldn't resist sharing it was sooooo good and I was sooooo proud of myself. lol
This batch will be under lock and key :)

lisound
03-01-2013, 08:01 PM
does snow on the ground keep the trees from popping?

Revi
03-01-2013, 09:36 PM
I think it keeps them chilled out so they don't bud as easily. I was down in Virginia last week and the red maples were budding. We won't see that for a couple of months at least.

Sapling
03-02-2013, 08:49 AM
This is my first year. I did a lot of reading before the season, but i have no first hand experience. Starting small on my own home property. Tapped seven trees with eight classic metal taps/metal buckets. Using a turkey fryer to boil. Due to snow storm and travel schedule, I tapped a little late on Sunday February 24. I have been collecting each evening and boiling partially down each night. I collected 2.5-3 gal each day on Mon, Tue, and Wed. Thursday and Friday NO SAP. Is that OK? It sounds like I am not the only one with a slowdown, but I am less than half way to my goal and I am worried I started late.

Agent914
03-02-2013, 09:33 AM
No worries it will come back later today after teh trees thaw-out a little...the best temperature pattern for Sap production is 20's @ night with 40's during. Also if it rains I find that the sugar content drops a little. So use the down time to stock-up on supplies

Sapling
03-06-2013, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the reassurance. LOTS of sap yesterday and today!