PDA

View Full Version : Tree's still running

Slatebelt*Pa*Tapper
01-25-2004, 07:55 AM
Intresting!! 8O

Hi,
I've got 3 tree's that I tapped in fall, that are still running as of right now. They even run in this 20degree weather. I pulled the taps from these tree's in Nov. 03 and they are still running. Tap holes where only 2" in depth. The other 6 are all dried up. Any body got any reason why this is happening. They are exposed to the full sun, unlike the other 6, they are in a wooded area. Thanks Chuck[/b]

mapleman3
01-25-2004, 10:22 AM
Was the sap sweet in the fall???

Slatebelt*Pa*Tapper
01-25-2004, 12:53 PM
Hi Jim,
It was very sweet. This was my first time tapping and The temps seemed right, so I went out and put 9 taps in. Made 2 pints. We have 80++ tappable tree's(reds) on our property,and About 60++ abit to small for tapping(reds). We purchased the property about a year ago and I was in the woods Last spring Thinning some trees out for firewood, when I noticed some sap running. Well my dad never herd of anyone tapping here where we live, He said it couldnt be done. At least when he was a boy thats what his father told him. Well I proved them wrong this past fall by tapping some. Now I got the bug like everyone else here on this forum. He(dad) now bought some taps for the 4 norways on his property and he is going to tryin PUT taps in those in the next 2-3 weeks comeing. Any way the Syrup was very tasty and didnt last very long. Im hopeing to tap at least 20 tree's this spring and hopeing to get a bit more than 2 pints. I got the fever now to tap. Chuck

Salmoneye
02-05-2004, 12:14 PM
Some 'old-timers' would tap in the fall for a small run usually around deer season here (before thanksgiving)...Almost no one (none I know of anyway) does this anymore...Conventional wisdom was so as not to allow ice to build in the holes and freeze hard and crack the heartwood in the long cold winter...

Some people used to make a batch of Birch Syrup here too...I also heard stories of some people doing syrup from 'Swamp Ash' here...I can attest to the sweetness of swamp ash as I have alot of it...I can cut a wet chunk and slap it on top of my woodstove and cook the sap out on the ends of the log...My kid and I fight over who gets to scrape and eat the 'candy'...

There is a company in Alaska that still sells Birch Syrup on the internet...

http://www.birchboy.com/

Slatebelt*Pa*Tapper
02-12-2004, 07:56 PM
Buggers are still running as if I just tapped them. Thinking about putting taps back in them. Its just running down onto the ground. Seem's like a waste..

Race
02-12-2004, 08:07 PM
Hi again Charlie,
The same thing will happen this spring. After the sap turns yellow and you pull taps , many will continue to run for several weeks. I had one run until September this year even without the cold temps.
Sooner or later we all waste some sap one way or another. I hate it but it is part of the process. Best to try and minimize it. Sap is lost naturally as well from limb breakage , Sapsuckers etc etc. .

Race in Wisconsin