PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a sugar burn

Asthepotthickens
03-01-2013, 03:55 PM
Mt front pan has a black super burn on it about two inches off of the bottom it's quite black now. How would you clean it?

Brian
03-02-2013, 07:39 AM
vinegar and elbow grease,I would use a light scotch brite or equivelant

shane hickey
03-02-2013, 08:03 AM
Leader has scotch bright pads that go on a die grinder the whoops it right of alot faster and less elbow grease they also have it in different grains

mike z
03-02-2013, 10:51 AM
Heat the pan with vinegar and let set overnight, then scrub like heck the next day.

Cake O' Maple
03-02-2013, 11:16 AM
I've used a metal scrubbie, it looks like coils of metal. Got it from my neighbor, who said he got them from a restaurant and they weren't available to the general public. But I'd think they'd have to be gotten somewhere. It still takes LOTS of elbow grease, and soaking beforehand helps a little. But they really work. I used 1 all season last year.

Beware, I found something similar at the dollar store (forget which one) but it had smaller diameter coils, and when I tried to scrub the burned sugar off with it, it hardly did anything besides fall apart. (the scrubbie, people, not the sugar!) Used it once for 2 pans, and couldn't get all the burned sugar off.

jputney
03-02-2013, 07:55 PM
I buy this pan cleaner. One container lasts me a couple years. I am sure if they sell it around here other places must have it too. I fill my pan with water and start a small fire. Add a little of the powder and let it sit an hour or so and it wipes right off. Pan looks like new without all the hard work.

http://www.rothsugarbush.com/index.cfm?event=ViewItemDetail&storeitemid=54674

Asthepotthickens
03-03-2013, 08:24 PM
Thanks to all of you I used grill cleaner and scotch brite a lot of scrubbing.