PDA

View Full Version : Niter...please help me understand

sweeteffinsyrup
03-01-2013, 02:24 PM
So I just read the thread by Garyp titled "Now What?", and there was some discussion on filtering. This led to the mention of niter. What exactly is it and where does it come from? Is niter the same as sugar sand? From what I've learned over my meager beginnings this past year, is that sugar sand is simply a naturally-occurring sediment found in the sap that carries through the evaporation process into the syrup if not filtered properly. Could someone please give me brief run-down? I need to figure out the best and most cost effective way for a backyard sugarer like myself to use, because the cheesecloth just ain't cuttin' it. I had never even heard of Orlon until finding this sight, and wouldn't know where to look to find it or some type of wool to filter with... short of cutting up a brand new wool sock. Lord knows my used ones should be burned to save us all. Thanks for any help and/or advice on my first ever new thread posted!

Tweegs
03-01-2013, 02:42 PM
I think you have a pretty good understanding of niter and where it comes from, and yes, niter and sugar sand are one in the same.

I use an Orlon filter to filter sap every time I transfer it, that keeps bugs and little sticks from finding their way to my pans. If you don’t have such problems, I wouldn’t worry about it.

I still use the cone filters, they’re reasonably priced, can be cleaned, and last quite a while.
Pick up a felt cone filter and a half dozen or so of the paper filters that go in them, or I’ve heard of folks using flat felt filters. Either way you’ll be far happier with the end product than with the cheese cloth.

Edit in: You can get the filtering supplies from about any sugaring supply house. A good place to start is with the sponsors of this site, the maple guys. You can also check listing for something a little closer to home.

sweeteffinsyrup
03-01-2013, 03:48 PM
I will look into it ASAP. That was very helpful and I thank you kindly Tweegs

Tweegs
03-01-2013, 04:28 PM
You're welcome!

I can get about a half-gallon of syrup through a paper filter at the start of the season and only about a quart through at the end of the season. The niter will intensify as the season wears on.

I know how much sap I have on hand and about how much syrup I will get out of it. Knowing that and how many filters it will take, I nest the appropriate number of paper filters inside each other, plus a couple more just because, then nest the paper filters inside the felt.

The syrup goes in the filter right off the evaporator, nice and hot. When one paper filter clogs I grab it by a top corner and then the bottom I grab with kitchen tongs (it’s hot) spilling what is left in the clogged filter to the next filter nested. I’ve run over 6 gallons through one of the felt filters and haven’t had one clog yet.

The clogged filters get tossed in a bucket for the wife to clean later. Rinse them with hot water, hang them to dry. Don’t use soap or bleach and don’t wring them out. Store them in a paper bag between seasons so they can breathe, won’t mold that way. Give them just that much attention and they’ll last a couple of seasons. I’m going on season 3 with some of them.

sweeteffinsyrup
03-01-2013, 06:29 PM
Tweegs your the man! I'll take your advice and run with it. How are things over in your part of the country? Are you tapping yet? I plan to start tapping either Sunday or Monday. My wife actually has a friend over this weekend that she co-owns a dog with from Allendale, MI. Far from you?

grahamcreek62
03-03-2013, 08:16 AM
So I just read the thread by Garyp titled "Now What?", and there was some discussion on filtering. This led to the mention of niter. What exactly is it and where does it come from? Is niter the same as sugar sand? From what I've learned over my meager beginnings this past year, is that sugar sand is simply a naturally-occurring sediment found in the sap that carries through the evaporation process into the syrup if not filtered properly. Could someone please give me brief run-down? I need to figure out the best and most cost effective way for a backyard sugarer like myself to use, because the cheesecloth just ain't cuttin' it. I had never even heard of Orlon until finding this sight, and wouldn't know where to look to find it or some type of wool to filter with... short of cutting up a brand new wool sock. Lord knows my used ones should be burned to save us all. Thanks for any help and/or advice on my first ever new thread posted!

I just got started too and I have found that the milk filters that fit my 6 inch strainer do a real good job. You may have to filter it once or twice, but it will take most of it out.
Just a thought. You can get them at a farm supply store. Glo

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-03-2013, 07:46 PM
if you use a wool filter use 1 prefilter after the wool to catch any wool fibers that would come off and stack 3,4,5 before the wool filter. You dont want to clog the wool up with niter, much easier to clean a prefilter or throw out than have to get all the niter out of a wool filter. I use cone style wool filter. Had one prefilter after and put 5 before the wool filter last night. I filtered 10.5 gal and pulled 2 of the prefilters out.

maine guide
03-06-2013, 03:07 PM
WE use several layers of cloth and pour the hot syrup thru just before bottling. Another trick if your small time like us is to pour it into jars and filter as you can Then let the nitre settle out for a couple of days. Then CAREFULLY pour off the top 90%. This is only good for small timers but we do it sometimes and it works great