PDA

View Full Version : Galvanized sheet metal evap. pan cover?

miner1
03-01-2013, 10:37 AM
I'm using a couple sheets of galv. steel to cover the evap pan between boils. I cleaned the cover really well, and I put it on after the evap has cooled down a few hours. Its does drip condensation back in the pan. My logic tells me this is okay because they still use galvanized buckets to collect sap. I searched on the internet found that food can contact galvanized surfaces as long as the food is not overly acidic (i.e. citrus, tomato) check the link below. Any input? Its a hobby sized evap and I'm on a limited budget. The steel cost 20$ at the hardware store. I know stainless is ideal, I haven't priced that out yet.

https://www.galvanizeit.org/knowledgebase/article/is-it-safe-for-food-to-be-in-contact-with-galvanized-steel

325abn
03-01-2013, 11:07 AM
You will be fine.

village idiot
03-01-2013, 02:09 PM
I wait till the next morning to cover mine (unless it's snowing/raining into the pan) or at least until the pan is cold just to avoid the condensation drops.

It probably saves me 0.5 seconds of boiling the next time, but during 4 weeks of stop/start boiling that will add up to at least 6 seconds of savings.

BlueberryHill
02-20-2014, 08:40 AM
I need some sort of cover for my evap. for in between boils and I don't feel like shelling out the money for stainless right now. I see above that Galvanized should be fine but I was wondering if anyone had some input on any alternatives that might be better. Aluminum? I have no idea what a sheet of any of this would cost. Light weight would be nice but also want something strong enough that it won't be super floppy and hard to move around. I have a 2' x 7' setup. Looking to see what others are doing. Thanks!

Pibster
02-20-2014, 09:07 PM
Try checking the local scrap yard. A piece of stainless steel is pretty cheap there.

psparr
02-20-2014, 09:26 PM
Home depot or lowes has corrugated plastic roofing that would probably work.

CampHamp
02-20-2014, 10:24 PM
I use foil-covered insulation board. I cut it wider than the pan and taped the edges with duct tape to ensure no foam escapes. Since it is insulated, it doesn't get much condensation.